Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Painting / Treating (Alexanders) Observatories

Macavity

I forgot to ASK what my "Alexanders Observatory" was PAINTED with... Cuprinol, I sense? Any suggestions re. painting / treatment products and their compatibility? If I can "do" a garden fence as well, so much the better! Can one hire / buy "sprayer thingies"? The "Wood Preservation Society" and all that... :rolleyes:

I've used the Homebase version of Cuprinol but I'm not very pleased with the lasting properties. I don't know if Cuprinol is any better - it costs twice as much. I believe you can get spraying versions but you'd need a totally calm day and even then you lose a lot into the air. I prefer a brush personally. You can control where the stuff goes! Alternatively, creosote is very good - as long as you don't want any plants near it.

I got a Cuprinol sprayer a year or so ago when homebase had a wrong price on it (£15 for the rechargable sprayer not £50!) The first bottle went ok. Stopped for 5 mins for a brew, then had to strip and clean the pump, feed tube and nozzle as it had dried and clogged! Could understand if I had left it for an hour, so sent the other half off to get a couple more tubs so I could do all the panels in one go without stopping. Results were ok, but no quicker or better than a brush.

...It is porous and doesn't work by putting on a surface (which flakes off) but by penetrating.
Yeah - I feel that is key though. The "active ingredient" of Cuprinol seems to settle in the bottom few millimetres of the tin? Something a little more penetrating too... A few "carcinogenic hydrocarbons" - "solvent abuse possibilities", seems INSTINCTIVELY a better product. :rolleyes:

Ive just repainted nmy Obsy this year, made the mistake on using B&Q el cheepo stuff that did nothing originally. Was advised to use cuprinol Ducks Back about 20 notes for a 10l tub. Only stag is that you need 3 coats for it to become effective. Im really impressed with it, water just beads and runs straight off, just like a ducks back funny enough, cant recomend it higher.

The top product is Sikkens. It is porous and doesn't work by putting on a surface (which flakes off) but by penetrating. Like a number of other top products its topness is reflected in the price...

Olly

I agree. You should only use quality branded products when decorating and stay well clear of DIY store home brand rubbish.

Believe me, I am in the building trade, and quality is cheaper in the long run.

Regards Steve

Archived