NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone see great shooting star on tonights ISS pass

Hig

First really clear night for ages for me here, and so I checked and there was an ISS pass at 2149....

normally for me it just appears into sunlight halfway over the sky and then vanishes again into darkness very soon after..

but tonights was great.. crystal clear and a full pass from horizon to horizon...

but just after it passed the zenith there was a huge shooting star in the same direction and almost alongside it for just about a full second, a really long streak...

It was amazing...

Anyone else catch it??

I wondered what the hell that was! I have only recently started going out and seen one or two shooting stars but this was very much clearer and had a bit of a fireball look to it! myself and brother who are inexperienced stargazers all looked at each other and didnt know what to make of it. Glad to see others on here saw it too. It seemed to move more slowly across the sky than other shooting stars i've seen?

Yes, I saw what I took to be a meteor. It was pretty much in the direction of just south of due west. It was bright (like a firework) and travelled horizontally quite slowly in a northerly direction at an angle of about 30 degrees from the horizon. My recollection was that it occurred a brief time before the ISS passed directly overhead from West to East.

Archived