NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem number 1

Earl

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could use something like the 1-Wire system, it's not wireless but as the name suggests, it's only one CAT5 cable run from the sensors to the PC and you can add the sensors that you want in a "daisy chain".

Two temp/hum sensors and a USB adaptor and you're sorted. :)

It takes about 10 days to arrive from the States and I'm not sure if it'll integrate with Cumulus software but it does with Weather Display. :(

Funny you should mention that - I'm building a 1-wire weather station and have some of it working. Some sensors are available in the UK. Temperature sensors are very cheap. I started a thread about 1-wire on the Sandaysoft (Cumulus) forums :- Sandaysoft • View topic - 1-wire info and recommendations

If I want extra sensing in the obsy I'll be using 1-wire. Steve, the author of Cumulus, is hoping to add 1-wire interfacing to Cumulus later. Since my 1-wire system is currently running in Linux with Python software, I intend adding it to my G-Weather Linux weather station software - just one of the many projects I have on the go :D

I've always got my 1-Wire stuff from Eric at Hobby Boards as he offers the option of adding a water resistant coating on the PCB, plus he had the anemometer and lightning detector I was looking for at the time. :)

I know Steve as well, he's on the Scottish Weather Network that I run.

Those camping mats seem like a good idea. I've used insulating foam (the ones used to put between bricks inside walls) and i've screw them to some metal beams i have on the roof. But it's a little awkward to work with and it doesn't cut well.

Ricardo

I've always got my 1-Wire stuff from Eric at Hobby Boards as he offers the option of adding a water resistant coating on the PCB, plus he had the anemometer and lightning detector I was looking for at the time. :)

I know Steve as well, he's on the Scottish Weather Network that I run.

I've bought stuff from Hobby Boards too. But I guess the place I've used most is HomeChip :- HomeChip

Then there's Sheepwalk Electronics, a small British firm who sell a few things at a good price :- Sheepwalk Electronics - 1-Wire products and information.

I've bought stuff from Hobby Boards too. But I guess the place I've used most is HomeChip :- HomeChip

Then there's Sheepwalk Electronics, a small British firm who sell a few things at a good price :- Sheepwalk Electronics - 1-Wire products and information.

That's useful to know, Gina. I also usually buy from Homechip because I knew the chap who owns it fifteen years or so ago when we were both heavily involved in the internet services business. He doesn't carry everything I want though, so having another UK source is helpful.

James

Archived