NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best eyepieces for F/5 Dob?

Is an ultra-wide field of view a "must" for you ? - if not then there are lower cost alternatives - decent plossls like GSO or Tele Vues would work pretty well and cost a lot less.

At the price that suits your eyes....

Everyones eyes are different...reviews can help, but, try before you buy.

See if you can find a local 'observing' group...pop along & see for yourself what suits you

There was a similar thread a few days back. If you want wide view, and it makes sense with a dob, than the Nirvanas or WO equivalent or a s/h Nagler would be the way to go. Anything less would leave you with the outer 3rd unfocused and what would be the point of the wide view then :)

Shame they only come in a very limited range. If you dob is the 10" then the Nirvanas 28 and 7 plus a Nagler 13 would be perfect.

As Dobby said, the best price that suits your eyes. I am constantly suprised by how sharp and good my standard celestron and Skywatcher plossls are compared to my Ethos and Naglers. And they cost tons less.

It seems standard eyepieces have come and long way, just because they are affordable does not mean they are rubbish.

However you may find that the FOV of standard lens are not visually pleasent to view thru, so consider getting some wider FOV lens.

At what price point should I buy eyepieces?

I am thinking of the Nirvanas but if there are any other lower cost EPs that will do the job then I'd like to know!

I don't want to upgrade later on, I am thinking I'd have around 3 eps and a decent barlow

as you know an f5 is a fast system and to some extent needs good quality eyepieces to show its best. it really depends on whether or not you want the whole field sharp or just say the central 70% or so. many people comment how close the Nirvanas are to Naglers et al so I am sure they will be good in your scope.

personally though, I'd sooner try and buy the best quality available so my MO is to buy a cheap eyepiece like a Chinese plossl at the focal length I want and then save for longer for the 'real thing'. my problem is that I feel I'd always be wondering what if....

Good quality plossls as mentioned by John will give decent images and last a while and you may even like them so much you'll never feel the need to change. they are also light and won't upset balance. they also usually barlow well.

I am not a fan of barlows but they can help increase your collection at less cost than more eyepieces.

did you have some focal lengths in mind?

....TBH I have no-where to try eyepieces, there is a astronomy society near me but the their viewing nights are outside of the city so I can't get there.

I've been in the same position for years so I adopted the approach of i) reading widely on eyepiece performance (inc the US based forums) and ii) buying used eyepieces that looked in decent condition. That way I've been able to try loads of designs, including some exotic ones, and then, if they did not suit me, I have usually been able to sell them again at little or no loss.

There is enough posting on SGL for you to get an idea of the EP's that are generally considered decent in various price brackets and scope specs. The next step would be to pick up one or two that you think might be "in the frame" for you and try them out.

There is a danger of "paralysis by analysis" setting in with EP's because the choice is wide and everyone has their favourites - you need to give yourself a chance to work out what yours are :)

I like the phrase "paralysis by analysis" John. I've suffered from that in the past. You can give yourself a headache trying to decide. Just when you think you have it worked out you read one negative comment and start all over again.

Archived