NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which galaxy am I viewing above Andromeda?

Adz

Observing Andromeda this season with my new scope, one of the orbiting galaxies is now viewable - amazing!

But my question is which one is it?

I am having a bit of trouble figuring it out. It is at a 11 o'clock position relative to my view of andromeda.

So is it m110 or m32?

Many thanks,

Assuming the main stars of the Andromeda constellation are "below", then M110 is "above" the Andromeda galaxy with a clear gap and M32 is "below" the centre of the galaxy, but they appear to overlap.

A peek at stellarium should make it clear.

James

M32 looks like a fuzzy star wheras M110 is quite a bit fainter and an indistinct oval patch of light. The latter quickly becomes very difficult to spot if there is any light pollution in the sky (man-made or moon-made).

assuming you are looking through your dob, the view will be inverted to that shown in books. M32 will be close into the core of M31, above it and at 11 o'clock and M110 will be further out, much fainter and below at about half past.

I'd say you are seeing M32.

ps. M110 is quite weird in that from a dark site it is more obvious and much bigger and brighter than M32 but from my home site I could not even see it until I bought the 16" dob (the 12" could not see it). M32 though is readily viewed even with my 6".

as John says, like many galaxies, light pollution destroys the view of M110.

It's easier to see the difference in a photo.Depending on how you are viewing, in this image of m31 very close is m32 like a large star at 3 o'clock and m110 more elongated is at the top of image at 11 o'clock - off course it will not be as clear as this unfortunately!

Brightness is the indicator. M32 is one of the highest surface-brightness galaxies in the sky (this would be more widely appreciated if it wasn't right next to the more eye-catching M31). M110 is faint, which is why Messier never included it in his list (it was put there by Kenneth Glyn Jones in 1967). If you can only see one satellite of M31 then it's M32.

Brightness is the indicator. M32 is one of the highest surface-brightness galaxies in the sky (this would be more widely appreciated if it wasn't right next to the more eye-catching M31). M110 is faint, which is why Messier never included it in his list (it was put there by Kenneth Glyn Jones in 1967). If you can only see one satellite of M31 then it's M32.

Except in bins, where M110 is more easy, because M32 looks stellar at low mag.

Archived