Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Earths Magnetic Field

It might flip in geological time scales but I thought that it reduces, disappers then grows again facing the other way. For the period of low or no magnetism we lose some of the the protection from solar winds and storms.

In the worst scenario, wonder if any of the magnetic field flips have coincided with global extinctions?

It might flip in geological time scales but I thought that it reduces, disappers then grows again facing the other way. For the period of low or no magnetism we lose some of the the protection from solar winds and storms.

In the worst scenario, wonder if any of the magnetic field flips have coincided with global extinctions?

According to the rather helpful link posted above, there is no evidence found to suggest any previous extinction has been linked to polar reversal but we have never relied so heavily on electrical equipment so it would have a bigger effect today. Not sure if I could 'survive' without my iPhone lol :smiley:

Richard

Some birds and fish might start flying/swimming the wrong way - satnavs might go astray - but I'm ok cos I only use maps and stars to navigate (mostly maps in the car lol) :smiley:

And those turtles that always return to the same beach to mate wouldn't be too happy...

So lets say the protection from solar winds and storms have an influence, are these effects likely to attract meteorites towards the earth?

So lets say the protection from solar winds and storms have an influence, are these effects likely to attract meteorites towards the earth?

The short answer is no. As far as im aware the only thing that 'attracts' meteors to the earth is gravity.

Richard

The short answer is no. As far as im aware the only thing that 'attracts' meteors to the earth is gravity.

Richard

You mean that Hanna-Barbera were stretching the truth with their alien with the big Magnet !!

You've destroyed my childhood now :smiley:

Gravity attracts only,

Magnetism can be attractive or replusive.

Gravity affects all things possessing mass, an electromagnetically neutral body will neither attact nor repulse another neutral body under electromagnetic force.

But they will attact each other under gravity.

Gravity attracts only,

Magnetism can be attractive or replusive.

Gravity affects all things possessing mass, an electromagnetically neutral body will neither attact nor repulse another neutral body under electromagnetic force.

But they will attact each other under gravity.

Unless... since magnetism is either attractive or repulsive depending on polarity; gravity is either attractive or repulsive based on 'what kind of stuff it is' - attractive with matter, repulsive with antimatter or dark matter.

Yes, it's an utterly stupid theory, but at least it would explain why they're so hard to find :smiley:

It depends what's inside the planet, Jupier for example has a massive magnetic field (one of the largest structures in the solar system) as it has a hot "metallic" (probably highly compressed hydrogen which has metallic properties) in a core which generates the magnetic field. Many scientists attribute the loss of Mars atmosphere (and the surface water) to the demise of it's magnetic field as it's core cooled, causing the protection from the solar wind to be lost.

Steve

Thanks a lot everyone, I think I've worked it out and as far as I can see there will be a few turtles heading to the beach to find it's not there anymore and a few birds flying south for winter saying to themselves "damn it's cold down here this year, sure we went the right way"? The possibility is we may see auroras anywhere when the magnetic field starts changing.

Archived