NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dob or not ?

Advise please anyone .

I currently have a Celestron Astro Master 130eq. I really want to upgrade now as I have had this scope for a while and want to go a step futher with my astronomy.

I was thinking about a 8" Dobsonian perhaps, most likely the S/W 200p. I really can't afford much more than £300 and this one sits comfortably within budget.

Any Ideas or suggestions from you more seasoned guys would be a huge help in making my decision.

I am currently using one here in France - last night I spent 6 hours with it on both the planets and deep sky - and had a great time. The Skyliner 200P Dob is brilliant value for money - well recommended.

My first scope was a celestron 127eq and while it was a nice scope and saw some decent views I couldn't get on with(maybe because it had a fault)I took it back for a full refund and went for a dob I would have gone for the 8" but it was over my budget so had to get the 6" but on the couple of nights I was able to get out and use it,my thoughts were "why the hell didn't I get a dob in the first place"maybe in a couple of years ill upgrade to a 8" in my humble opinion every beginner should start with a dob hope you enjoy your new scope:)

Ps. Even though I'm very happy with my 6" dob I want a bigger one! And even if I had an 8"dob I'm sure I would want the 10" lol

before I say anything I am totally biased as I love dobs completely and will be unlikely to ever own a main scope of any other kind in my life.

just do it!

you will have 2.5x the light gathering of your 130mm, dobs are a joy to use, you can modify them and improve things as you go, once you have some experience and confidence with what (if anything) needs improving (e.g. flocking the tube or at least some of it).

in my opinion, there is no better visual observing than that with a cooled and collimated, decent aperture dob with good quality eyepieces.

if you can stretch to a telrad too if you don't have one then this will seriously improve your finding ability and comfort as will an observing chair. the good thing about an 8" dob is that you don't have that much change in eyepiece height so a normal chair might just do.

Thanks all for the comments and info.

Looking in earnest now for an 8", however may hold out to see if I can (as suggested ) pick up a good 10" for around a similar price.

One more question, where would I get my optical tube flocked and is it expensive ?( sorry thats two questions )

One more question, where would I get my optical tube flocked and is it expensive ?( sorry thats two questions )

It's a DIY job really. You can buy self adhesive flocking paper in sheets and it's fiddly rather than difficult to fit. There are some parts of the scope that are worth flocking (eg: the tube wall opposite the focuser) and some where it's not really beneficial so you don't need to do the whole interior of the scope.

Yes go for it martin! I have the smaller version 6" dob and with my use it is great, asy to use and give fantastic crisp images of what every you want to use it for planets, dso's, moon. The 8" has more light capacity than my 6" and so it is better. I was going to get the 8" but it was much too large to move in and out of my bedroom when I wanted to and so I went for the 6" and I love it, m not disapointed. Im only 16 and so it has taken me quite a while to get the scope and I really love it and use it when ever possible. There is only one problem really and that is moving it around I have to take it in two separate parts and it is a little heavy especially moving it up and down stairs. It will be a huge improvement from your 127eq and you wont be disapointed.:)

I agree with John in that there are some bargains to be had with used gear, especially if you see something a little bigger than the 8" (...every little extra helps :)). However if you were to stick with a used 8", then with the change you could buy a telrad and perhaps later on a right angles finder will provide you with the perfect locating set up.

What ever you decide, you are certainly moving in the right direction!

Clear skies

James

Thanks again for the thoughtful advice and also think John is right to possibly hunt around.

I am looking for a good second hand scope, but in truth I'm not having a great deal of luck locating any.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I have scoured SGL's "for sale" section with no joy. Maybe I should just sit tight and see if anything pop's up.

I could just bat on with my 130eq for a while but I know it just isn't cutting the mustard for me now and I've sat my mind on a new dob.

Suppose patience is ( apparently ) a virtue :)

There is a 12" Skywatcher Dob on Ebay at the moment with a current bid well within your budget - that's not to say that it won't go for more by the end but there is one more day left on it - can't win unless you take part!

James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived