Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Equinox Group

Hi all,

Did you know there's a Skywatcher Equinox user-group on SGL? Check the link in my signature below!

I found out about it a few months ago, and proceded to join. The Equinoxes are stunning telescopes, used either visually or photographically - and I know there are many owners on SGL. Perhaps you could pop in, say hello, pass on any experiences or tips? Or if you're interested in buying an Equinox have a look there and ask any questions you may need answered?

Hope to see you there!

Ant :BangHead:

post-14001-133877636942_thumb.jpg

Have joined the group as a 120 owner. I might later aquire one of the shorter focal length Equinoxes as a guide scope and rich field imaging scope. I think it would be cool to have the two scopes matching!

Anyway I can testify that 120ED is a good scope for visual work, it has rewarded me many times with fine views of star clusters etc. especially when used with nice low power, UWA eyepice under dark skies.

I'm hoping to get my observatory finished this summer so I can crack on with some imaging through it.

Obsy progess gallery:

Cambrian Mountains Observatory pictures by laser_jock99 - Photobucket

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, and good for you for joining! :)

I'm visual only too and think these scopes offer such good views that they are indeed worthy of the best focuser upgrade I could afford. Hence the Moonlite. :eek:

I have to agree with you here :)

For an ED Doublet it behaves very similar to a "full" APO i.e. a triplet arrangement. There is a ever so slight green hue one side of focus and a barely noticeable purple hue the other side of focus.

I only notice it occasionally and only if I am looking for it.

The Equinox crayford focuser caused me a few problems along the way

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/142836-sw-equinox-80-focuser-problem.html#post1898372

However I ordered a replacement Moonlite Crayford from FLO on Monday morning (in black also) but unfortunately stock levels are low so need to wait a couple of weeks for it to be shipped from the USA... Cant wait!

How do you find the Equinox 120ED for DSO viewing? Especially the likes of Globular clusters. Can you resolve down to the core for instance?

I am looking for a bigger scope but every time I come back to the familiar in the form of a 5 inch ED refractor. I just cant bring myself to get a reflector or catadioptic scope. :headbang:

Well, I've seen M13 through it several times, though not recently - I need to revisit some DSOs as soon as it gets dark enough - and I noted that I was very impressed with the view, as it resolved better than I expected a small-ish aperture scope to do. A fellow observer commented that M13 looked like it does in the pictures in books! I agreed. Sorry I can't be more objective (no pun intended) but it's been more than half a year since I was able to observe anything through it (weather and seasonal sky brightness).

The flexibility of the scope though is something I love about it. I can observe anything through it and get the best possible view for the aperture-class that it's in.

Ant :)

Another Equinox owner here. The 66 is optically a great little scope.

The only niggle I have with it is the lack of a 2" focuser. I'd quite like to get a field flattener for it but so far can't source a 1.25" one or work out how to attach something like the SW 2" flattener.

I found a thread where someone had tried one with an SCT - 2" adapter but couldn't achieve focus.

Any suggestions?

Alan.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Got my Equinox 80 on Monday, only had a couple of clearish nights since and with a full moon not really been able to try it for wide field. Looking forward to the weekend and clouds permitting I will try it out on Jupiter when it's a bit higher in the sky.

Overall - love it so far

Archived