NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turn left at Orion

Stargazer Jack

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The observations made in TL@O were made with a small refractor (3" I believe) from a back yard in New York and shows you how to find your first 100 deep sky objects.

It's quite amazing what you can see in a small scope from a back yard in such a light polluted location. It includes illustrations to show what you're looking for, localised star maps, and star hopping instructions to find it. As well as information about each object.

Very nicely written and easy to follow. The ring binder version is a good idea cos you can have it alonside you at the scope.

Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders is very similar in style and readability, except it's much bigger (as John says) with more objects, and is laid out by season and in constellation order. Again there's a ring binder version, and both books have other general sections on telescopes and stargazing.

I have both and would recommend either - especially if you're new or considering getting a scope, cos they give you a great idea of what you're going to see :BangHead:

I loved my copy, its currently full of notes of dates when i first found an object (like, the moon ca1980 odd)

tbh i still have not found them all, and i have refused to let my self tick one off if i had found it using the goto.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to concur with brantuk. If you have a small scope or are a real beginner with no idea what to look for then I think TLaO is possibly the better place to start. IGtAW is a good next step or perhaps more suited to the slightly more confident or knowledgeable beginner. I use both, depending on my mood.

James

• 2 weeks later...
Equally as good as TL@O, but far more extensive ( and cheaper ) is Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, comes highly recommended.

Just been to the library and had a look at this in my lunch break. It's excellent and I think I'll buy it (unless I like TLaO more when it comes out). Very readable, a sizeable section on each object, descriptions of what you'll see in binoculars and a 10" dob, instructions on precisely how to star-hop to each target, and guides for beginners to everything related to DSO observing.

Tom

Archived