Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Patience of a saint.........

Having been only in the hobby full on for the last 6 months or so the one thing i did not realise was how far and few viewing sessions would be for one reason or another.

Even when the stars are out you still do not have it all your own way as the moisture and turbulence in the atmosphere can still dash a good nights viewing.

Here are a few of the things we have to deal with:

1. British weather, cloudy most of the time

2. Summer time, skies not dark enough

3. Hot days, turbulent atmosphere

4. To much moisture in the atmosphere (when the stars twinkle a lot)

5. The moon, washes out the skies

6. Street lamps and light pollution

7. Neighbours security lights

The best time of year is autumn & winter, but at what cost:

1. British weather, clouds and snow and excessive moisture

2. Snow on the ground reflects more light upwards

3. Dew, ends more viewing sessions than i expected

and numbers 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 above.

This does allow for lots of reading and research, a hell of a lot of reading :) and i have discovered patience, something that in todays society seems lost, well not is ASTRONOMY :(

Just make sure that when conditions allow you get out there and grab what you can as it may be weeks or months before you get another go :)

Yes it's a tough hobby ! I find that it's necessary to make sacrificies :- when I should really be in bed, get out there and make the most of a clear night, and accept

that I will be zombie-like the following day.

Or take up solar observing/imaging maybe, it has so many advantages. The Sun is available every clear day, you don't lose any sleep, light pollution is irrelevent, you

don't get frozen. Only one star to look at, but what a star !

Regards, Ed.

While I'm new to the hobby I finally got out on Wednesday night, the last day of my holidays, and realised one thing that can happen all by yourself looking through a telescope is the loss of time. On an up note those in the west of Scotland can pretty much guarantee that it'll be clear next week as I'm on a night shift and will be stuck indoors while it's dark.

On an up note those in the west of Scotland can pretty much guarantee that it'll be clear next week as I'm on a night shift and will be stuck indoors while it's dark.

Hmmmm....any idea yet if you'll be working nights 23-29 October? :)

Here are a few of the things we have to deal with:

And just when you've think you've found the perfect time and place, and all those irksome problems have disappeared briefly, you line everything up, start taking the perfect image --- and a plane flies straight through your field of view (what are the odds) leaving red and green trails from it's lights: exactly through the middle of the object (the tiny, tiny object) you were targeting.

:)

Here is another familiar senario, the skies look great clouds have virtually disappeared now you have to get in the headless chicken mode:

Grab scope and tripod, put outside to cool down.

Check stellarium and books to decide what to see.

Get your table, eyepieces, books, notepad & pen, red flashlight, chair, binoculars all positioned.

Change clothes to something more suitable.

Grab cooled down scope and polar align.

Wait for your eyes to get dark adapted.

Oh no forgot the power tank, run back into house with one eye closed, trip over dog, wife comes to investigate and turns on every light in the house.

Finally all systems are GO....WTF is that, yes it is the sun coming back up, oh well maybe tomorrow.

:)

And just when you've think you've found the perfect time and place, and all those irksome problems have disappeared briefly, you line everything up, start taking the perfect image --- and a plane flies straight through your field of view (what are the odds) leaving red and green trails from it's lights: exactly through the middle of the object (the tiny, tiny object) you were targeting.

:BangHead:

first time that happened to me it scared the hell out of me

Hi fellow saints,

This is why most nights there are so many of us on the forum, but it also shows that most of us have a good sense of humour otherwise we would all be in the nut house.

Wishing you all clear and stable clear skies very soon.

St Gaz

Archived