Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply?

Hi All,

I've just started out (had scope 9 days - 7 cloudy, saw Saturn for the first time Thursday night).

Have a skywater 200 HEQ5 from FLO. Now need to source a good, reliable power pack that will be suitable. Any body any recommendations (we don't have Lidl up here & Aldi seems a bit 'luck of the draw), thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I've just started out (had scope 9 days - 7 cloudy, saw Saturn for the first time Thursday night).

Have a skywater 200 HEQ5 from FLO. Now need to source a good, reliable power pack that will be suitable. Any body any recommendations (we don't have Lidl up here & Aldi seems a bit 'luck of the draw), thanks

Try Steve at FLO. You get a discount too as a SGL member.

Ron.

The one that came with the mount is pretty pants.

They no longer supply them with power-packs. Just as well as I was forever apologising for how long they took to charge (three days :shock:).

I hear you there !!!

I now use a mains transformer that can run all of my 12v needs.

I tried two local Halfords for power packs - not in stock. I looked at their Internet site and it indicated out of stock, so I e-mailed them. From memory (in Texas at moment) their reply said they were discontinued.

I don't know about transformers.

Mike

Thanks for the help so far.

Halfords seem to be winnig with their 20amp hr version at £59.99.

Will I need to get a lead to connect it to the HEQ5, as the battery pack supplied with the mount has a lead built in? If so does someone have a spec - or are they a standard item?

I tried two local Halfords for power packs - not in stock. I looked at their Internet site and it indicated out of stock, so I e-mailed them. From memory (in Texas at moment) their reply said they were discontinued.

I don't know about transformers.

Mike

Im my store i have instock 3 different "jumpstarters", 2 Halfords branded and one budget

I had problems with mine, and investigation showed it was the battery Kaput. It only had a 12 AH one in so I will replace it with a 20AH one.

I was a Lucas employee for donkeys, so I will get one cheap. I did for my electric golf trolley. They are all the same. Just make sure the physical size is right for the case.

Ron. :)

Hi Kermit, Maplins at the greenbridge business park in swindon sell a pretty good power unit for 29.99 it is also a compressor (good for blowing off cobwebs when the clouds dont come out) I use one on mine and it works a treat. Again you will need the lead from Atomiser, great service they do too. Easy enough to find, junction 15 M4 keep going then come off the roundabout for the A420, follow the signs to swindon and the business park will be directly in front of you when you reach the large roundabout. From your place I would say half an hour at the most.

Thanks for the advice - now on order from Halfords.

Astronomiser seems like a site I'll get to know better.

Hi Kermit, Maplins at the greenbridge business park in swindon sell a pretty good power unit for 29.99 it is also a compressor (good for blowing off cobwebs when the clouds dont come out) I use one on mine and it works a treat. Again you will need the lead from Atomiser, great service they do too. Easy enough to find, junction 15 M4 keep going then come off the roundabout for the A420, follow the signs to swindon and the business park will be directly in front of you when you reach the large roundabout. From your place I would say half an hour at the most.

Not so sure we share the same sense of geography (admittedly my knowledge of the 'south' is pretty poor) - I'm in the Lake District - not sure I could make Swindon in 1/2 hour! - Maplins don't seem to have stores up here & frankly the website just confused me - but thanks for the thought.

You just need a 12v cigarette lighter adapter (Tip Positive) For the HEQ5...If you're stuggling to find one I have several in my astro box....Will cost you mind :)

Mines a pint of Old Peculiar please...Chop chop!

I have been watching this thread and have noticed that no body has

advised the folk that want to run dew heaters that if you want to run a mount

and a dew heater you will most likely need 2 power packs (one for each)

If you are gonna want to drive your mount and maybe image or what ever

and use a dew heater one power supply is NOT enough.....

Archived