NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 Dumbbell Nebula - So So Happy

johnb

Ok it may not be the best but its my first M27 and Im really chuffed with it.

Lights - 12 x 600

Darks - 12 x 600

Flats x 8

So total of 2 Hrs using the kit in my signature and very little processing. I assuem more data will bring out more detail in the normal way so will try and get more this week.

I have included a widefield shot and a close up.

Thanks for looking.

Regards

John B

post-17074-133877632718_thumb.jpg

post-17074-133877632725_thumb.jpg

I would make sure you don't clip the data.. leave a bit more room at the end of the histogram...

I like my backrounds a bit "lighter" and tend to put a thinish (5 pixel at 800x600) jet black box around the finished pic... you will find something that works for you...

Peter...

I'd agree with Peter - Being hyper-critical the black-point is a bit clipped...

The problem with post-processing is that you can seemingly tweak it forever and end up with loads of versions, all of which you like :p. However, you have to be careful you don't over-process otherwise you end up with either un-natural results or more noise... :D

There's certainly nothing much wrong with the colour though...!

Thanks again for all the feedback. Im plan to add another couple of hours of 10 min subs to this and hopefully bring out more of the nebulosity (assume that will work) and when I process I will be carefull not to clip or darken to much.

Regards

John B

John this is a great shot - I love it. :D

My 2p worth is add more and more data as you've said you plan to. Also, if you don't mind me chipping in, use a few more flats. I do 30 because it gets the noise down to a good level but I realise this may not be practical. For the same reason I use 30 darks. Same caveat.

Still, I have to say it looks very good indeed!

Mark

Archived