Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much better for widefield is a 72 Megrez vs. a Startravel 80

Moonshane

Hi all

I cannot really afford either currently and think I know the answer to this one anyway :p

My reason for buying this sort of scope would be wide field sweeping etc and low power views of star fields. It will also be a holiday scope and effectively replace 15x70 bins which I never really got on with.

I will never be into imaging so this is not a concern.

Has anyone ever made a direct comparison between these scopes?

I can get a new ST80 for less that half the cost of a used 72 Megrez. I know it's probably worth it but just thought I'd ask the question.

For me the build quality and focuser on the Megrez is probably worth the price difference, and I have set my heart on a 72 Megrez. But I suppose the ST80 is light and cheaper and there would be less worry on hols if it was damaged?

Just answered my own question didn't I? :D

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane :D

As you say you have partly answered the question yourself :p

Build quality of the Megrez is in a different league to an ST80 and the optics should be far sharper as well for lunar and planetary viewing.

I suspect for DSO viewing both scopes should be very similar. The ST80 marginally brighter due to the aperture difference but then the Megrez has a shorter focal length meaning that it's more widefield.

Personally I was looking at these scopes when I wanted a scope which I could travel with.

I weighed up the pros and cons and then ended up with an equinox 80 instead of the Megrez lol...

Cheers Mark

Yeah, I don't know why we torture ourselves LOL!

It's all Kim's fault (brantuk) as I fell in love with his 72 Meg when I called at his house recently.

It's typically WO, so lovely to look at (and of course through - I expect).

It is that too Shane lol I never even looked through the ST80 yet cos it's all hooked up for guiding as you know. The Meg is just an all together better quality scope - far superior for imaging - and the views are cracking with the right diag and ep's :D

I would still go for the Megrez 72 over the ST80.

CA can be an issue with the ST80 scopes, the Megrez with it's ED lens will make viewing star clusters and such a whole lot more fun :D

The Megrez is also very compact and usually comes with a very swish soft carry case. :p

I own both & look through neither - ST80 guide scope & Megrez imaging scope.

As stated by others the Megrez is in another league to the ST80 in build quality, plus you'll look much cooler with a WO scope :D

You can't fairly compare the two really, one is £90 quid and the other is £400 quid, I know which one I would rather lose on holiday!

On the flip side I know which I would prefer to look through, it is supposed to be enjoyable :D

If you are taking it on hols and slightly worried about losing it or damaging it, go for the ST80. For low power sweeps of the heavens its going to be just as suitable as the M72. It also weighs a little less which may make a difference for airport carry on weight limits. The M72 weighs 2.2kg bare. While the ST80 is 1.5Kg bare.

I'll normally seeing double when I am on holiday anyway so it wouldn't matter! I take your point, its all about degree's of what you want, both will do the job except one will visually look nicer than the other. I bought my ST80 just as a widefield guide for my SLR but had a look through it last night and it wasn't bad, for the money I would say it was outstanding so its back to comparisons...ford fiesta or BMW 1 series!

yeah all good points guys.

maybe I should go for the ST80 used first and see how it goes. I can then use it for a while as I save for the Meg 72 ans then decide if I keep both or not.

both may be a little while away though as all funds are being pumped into my dob currently (and there's not much funds anyway anymore!).

Archived