500 Quid

Hey guys - I have 500 pounds available to buy my first scope. I did have my heart set on a Skywatcher 200p EQ5 after the good reviews on here, however I'm having my doubts. Since you were all beginners once, what would you buy if you had your time over and had 500 to buy your first scope????

Cheers,

Ed

Same as I did before, 200P Dobsonian second hand - spend a few months working out what you want to do long term, then sell it for more or less what you paid for it and work towards the goal :D

I would go for the 200P dobsonian at £279 from FLO (usual disclaimer). If your budget is £500 this leaves you with some change that you will need for maybe a couple of decent eyepieces (the supplied ones are only "OK" - £100 will get you a couple that are "good"). Many folk use a Telrad finder - especially with a Dob - this device makes finding an object dead easy - much easier than a finder scope!

You will need a red light torch and maybe a star atlas (free ones are available on the web).

In future you could but an equatorial mount like the EQ5 (or better an HEQ5 or 6 - especially if you decide to take pictures), the tube can easily be mounted on the different mount.

That scope is a good starter scope, no doubt. It would be difficult suggest anything else at the price without compromising some aspect of general astronomy use.

Some of the issues you may find with that particular set up. The EQ5 mount is pretty much at its maximum capacity, it may be a bit wobbly.

For planetary use the focal length is a bit short, you will need an eyepiece around 5mm for good views of Saturn and Mars, or a barlow.

The short focal length and hence low focal ratio means it will show up the deficiencies of poor eyepieces and barlow lenses. You will need to spend a bit, it will be worth it, the optics of the scope itself are very good.

This may all sound a bit critical of the scope, not at all, you are buying a mid range bit of kit, by definition there is better, so these are what I consider the limitation of this mid range scope.

Regards

Barry

Another vote for the 200P dobsonian and a couple of decent eyepieces here. At F/6 the dobsonian version of the 200P is a really good all round visual scope, in my opinion.

Im surprised no one has mentioned a 250dob, ive not even got a scope yet but if I had £500 id add some more and wait for a 2nd hand 300P 12inch monster, though that does depend on what storage space and if you need to travel to a dark site etc

300P is deffo my limit so to buy anything less for me would feel like im wasting money, But I spose until you have a scope youll never know if the hobby is really for you so could be an even bigger loss of money...... ah life is so complicated lol

Im surprised no one has mentioned a 250dob, ive not even got a scope yet but if I had £500 id add some more and wait for a 2nd hand 300P 12inch monster, though that does depend on what storage space and if you need to travel to a dark site etc

300P is deffo my limit so to buy anything less for me would feel like im wasting money, But I spose until you have a scope youll never know if the hobby is really for you so could be an even bigger loss of money...... ah life is so complicated lol

250/300 aren't really in the starter scope region though I would of suggested. Rather big to start with, and much more investment required.

That's why the 200P is favourable, more in peoples budget and just about manageable by one person.

Just my 2p :D

250/300 being sub f/5 really need a bit of looking after and good (read expensive) eyepieces to get the best out of them. Their 'best' is stunning, but as said above, not ideal starter scopes and with accessories etc. not within budget.

I'd agree with the 200mm dob. I say this having initially bought an eq mount which was decent but I found rather awkward and I really could not be bothered turning the tube round all the time to get a good observing position. with a don, the position never really changes. unless I get into imaging (highly unlikely) I will never buy an eq mount again. if you can get a used one then even better as you may eventually change to a larger aperture. in that case you can then sell to fund the bigger one (again used).

with the rest of the funds, I'd sort out the following:

Telrad

a copy of Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer DIY Science: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Bruce Thompson, Barbara Fritchman Thompson: Books

Observing seat

Right angle finder

Perhaps a couple of eyepieces

good luck with your choice whatever it is.

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments and advice. Seems like the 200p Dob is the popular choice. If I were to choose this as my first buy, you mention eyepieces; would you recommend a particular eyepiece? I've been checking FLO but I really am a novice when it comes to equipment.:D

Thanks again guys:)

Thinking about it again, Shane's shopping list is pretty good.

A Telrad finder alongside the optical finder scope is a great accessory. I would be scuppered without mine, couldn't find a thing.

A good book to help you decide what to look for and show you how to find it.

An observing seat is also great. I actually use a 2 step kitchen step ladder with a handrail. I sit on the top step. My youngest son stands on the bottom step.

Many folks swear by the right angle finders. Personally I get on fine with the straight through type but right angle finders are more comfortable to use, there's no denying that.

Eyepieces are huge subject on their own. There is a perception that the SkyWatcher super MA's that come with the scopes are dreadful, but actually they are okay to get you going. I still use the 25mm that I got with my first scope a few years ago. There is no barlow lens supplied with the Skyliners so you will probably want something a bit higher power than the 10mm pretty soon. Something around 5 or 6mm would be about right. If you wear glasses to observe, you want something with long eyerelief like this, but there are many options.

Other than that, you will need to spend some time with the scope first to learn what type of objects you like to look at. Then you will know what sort of eyepieces you want.

Archived