Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Report 13/3/2007

Rob

My Report for the 13th March 2007-03-14

Seeing: Good

Kit used: C8 with Skylight filter, WO 1.25 Dielectric Diagonal, Orion ShortyPlus 2x ED Barlow, 26mm Series 4000 EP, 9mm Antares Ortho.

I placed the C8 out on the patio at 7pm. Started observing at 9.15. This gave a good amount of time to allow the scope to fully cool down.

First Job. Star test collimation – Spot on!

Right, first target was M42. I used the 26mm 4000 straight in the WO diagonal. What a sight. Nebulosity was huge. I knew this was going to be a great evening, the trapezium stood out pin sharp with all stars apparent. I removed the SCT screw in Skylight filter which improved things ever so slightly, this was not a surprise as the filter is designed to reduce glow on bright objects!

I then moved the scope towards Auriga. On route taking a quick peek at the beehive!. On reaching Auriga I managed M36 / M37 / M38.

M37 was stunning, so many stars in that cluster, and the 26mm 4000 was really showing off by providing pin points galore!... I must encourage members to try this DSO object, it’s a real treat.

After opening a tin of beer to celebrate I felt it was time to move on to Saturn. First I put back the Skylight filter and dropped 26mm (unbarlowed) into the diagonal. A lovely crisp sharp view already on offer, 3 moons visible and hinting that the seeing was indeed very good. I popped the Barlow in and put back the 26mm 4000. Cassini now showing, with bands visible on the planet. I took out the 26mm & Barlow and dropped in the 9mm Ortho. Very good!.. lots of detail there. Four planet bands on show and a sharp cassini division.

At this point I felt very satisfied with my two and a half hours observing and called it a night. All in all, the best night of the year so far!.

I hope others are now getting out and enjoying the sky after a wet winter!!

Rob

Thanks All... its what the doctor ordered to be honest, its been a While :)

I know what you mean, I had two nights out last week and it really made the hobby seem worthwhile. Theres only so much reading and swotting up on the subject you can do when the weather is poor before you get fed up.

Sounds exactly like my night, although I didn't linger longer on each one. M42 showed more detail than I'd ever seen. I found M35 through to M38 accidentally in binos and took a look in the scope. They are all very impressive clusters.

Saturn showed Cassini, just, and four moons. The whole affair didn't last half an hour!

Glad you enjoyed yourself too.

Andrew

Very nice report - Seeing was very good here too. Despite initial problems with finder scope alignment I managed to get some good views of Saturn.

Didn't really get dark adapted too well but managed to make out Cassini and three moons with the barlowed 15mm Omni. Encouraged Girlfirend outside (from the warm living room - miracle) to view and she was very impressed, beats the corny line about coming up to see my etchings I suppose :)

I was less impressed when I managed to undo and drop the eyepiece retaining screw off the barlow (how I wish i'd cut the grass at the weekend). No chance of finding it but I work for an Industrial Engineering company so soon found a M4 chrome screw to replace.

Still very clear and cold tonight so looking forward to some better viewing tonight (day off tomorrow) as I will head over to my Fathers house (usual viewing site) where the light pollution is better.

Cheers

Bill £

Archived