Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Jupiter first!

Following a fantastic night's viewing last night, I was all ready to call it a night, bringing my stuff back into the house, when on my way back to pick up the scope, I saw an extremely bright object in the sky, peeping through the trees at the bottom of the garden. Checking Stellarium confirmed it was Jupiter, so waited another 20mins until it was clearly in view and then pointed the scope.....

Oh my goodness!! What a fantastic sight!! I was able to see all four moons, and two very distinct 'bands' around the planet. And colour....was I really seeing colour, or was I just imagining it??? I viewed for another 40mins or so, (the view seemed to get better and better!!), until I had to drag myself away from the eyepiece to get some shut-eye!

You know....I didn't think anything could top the view of Saturn, but for me.....Jupiter just edges it!! Bigger, bolder, and a glorious sight with it's moons in tow!!

Can't wait to continue discovering all Jupiter has to offer!

Vicky.

Yep,

Jupiter is the astronomer's big friend in the sky!

Colour, the BRG, moons, transits...

(Consult Stellarium for the next night-time transit of Io, and check out its shadow on the surface. Captivating!).

I'm glad Jupiter's back, albeit at an unconscionable hour for now.

Great to hear your enthusiasm Vicky, no doubt about it Jupe is the main Man!:)

Wait til it's at opposition later this year, you will see a lot more..and the longer you look at it, the more your eye will start to see.

Sounds like you had a fab night..I only wish we could "bank" clear nights like last night..

Dave

Hi Vicky,

I'm with you, Jupiter is number one.

Wait until you have the chance of viewing her all evening, I find it brilliant the way the moons change position in such a short time.

Roll on Autumn, well not too quickly :)

BTW great report, really enjoyed the read.

Thanks all!!

And now I have a whole week off work to chase Jupiter!!:)

So, I will be out whenever possible...with my new eyepiece that will hopefully arrive tomorrow!! (Baader Hyperion zoom! Excited!!)

Late nights...and good times ahead!!

Clear skies all!!

Vicky.

Archived