Problem with availability

I am ready to proceed with ordering my beginners set up but not all the items are available until August.

Evostar 120 EQ5 Telescope - IN STOCK

Helios Naturesport Plus 10 x 50 - IN STOCK

Polarscope EQ5 - OUT OF STOCK - DUE BEGINNING AUGUST

Antares ND13 Moon Filter - IN STOCK

Baader Neodymium 1.25" - IN STOCK

Antares Variable LED Torch - IN STOCK

Skywatcher 32mm SP - OUT OF STOCK DUE BEGINNING AUG

Skywatcher 17mm SP - IN STOCK

Skywatcher Deluxe x2 Barlow Lens - IN STOCK

Skywatcher Dual Axis Motor Drive EQ5 - IN STOCK

My concern is being if I get the in stock items not having the polarscope for EQ5. Is this going to affect alignment if setting up the EQ5 mount without it?

Should I look to purchase from another supplier?

Please advise your thoughts.

Thanks

Andy

If you are planning on astrophotography then the polarscope is necessary, but if you are just observing visually then you can do a 'close enough' alignment by looking through the hole where the polarscope fits - that's what I do :)

It's also usually worth spending a bit of time using the supplied accessories before splashing out on replacements/upgrades. If you never use the barlow supplied then there is no point getting a new one, likewise if you always use it then it's worth getting an eyepiece with the equivalent focal length.

As I am beginner I need to learn. Maybe in future get into AP but not a priority currently.

I did email Sherwoods, Harrison, Rother Valley & FLO for a quote on the entire package on Monday. Sherwoods & Rother Valley replied and resent my enquiry Wednesday to FLO but had no response from them.

As you intend, sensibly, to stick to visual observing to start with, the only thing you need to get started is the scope. All the rest can (and should in my view) come along later, once you have some experience of actually using the scope.

You can polar align the mount well enough for visual use by pointing the polar axis towards the north.

PS: you will probably be able to pick up much of the other stuff used or from the Astroboot web site - saving £s, eg: you can get a 17mm plossl for £15 or less from Astroboot.

All,

Thanks for your comments & advice. I know a lot of guys on here speak very highly of FLO. I have emailed them to get a package price from them for the above. I guess they must be really busy at the moment.

Much appreciated

Andy

All,

Thanks for your comments & advice. I know a lot of guys on here speak very highly of FLO. I have emailed them to get a package price from them for the above. I guess they must be really busy at the moment.

Much appreciated

Andy

I have found this as well as I am looking to place a decent sized order. the problem particularly seems to be with the SkyWatcher/Celestron/Synta stuff. Typically being quoted end of August. To be fair it has been like this for the past 3 months - the so called Brian Cox effect !!

Echo what other have said here about FLO being good - but Harrison and RVO are excellent as well

Out of interest did the retailers quote the package below there combined prices ?

Sherwoods just quoted from standard list. RV gave me discount on accessories, and offered price match promise on the binos. Scope & mount were from standard list price but were at the cheaper end of the suppliers I have looked at.

James,

Have sent enquiry via PM. Maybe you can advise in the polarscope as mentioned by Viper as other supplier never mentioned that the EQ5 came with polarscope as standard.

Many thanks

Andy

As you intend, sensibly, to stick to visual observing to start with, the only thing you need to get started is the scope. All the rest can (and should in my view) come along later, once you have some experience of actually using the scope.

This is great advice.

You might well find you don't need some of the objects on your list.

Use your scope first.

Regards Steve

Re: Polarscope.

Celestron has their All Star Polar Align that does away with the need for a polarscope. SkyWatcher should to be bringing out their version for the Synscan in a few months time and you'll be able to download the update.

John

Many thanks for the comments. I have PM to James so hopefully he will be able to come back with a pricing quite soon. I am going to Norfolk broads first week of August & would be great to have received the telescope set up package I want & take away with me.

Keeping fingers crossed that James can come back with a great deal.

Archived