Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lacerta UWAN (82 deg)

newman

• 1 year later...

It is like this... Every object is made in batches because every manufacturing machine needs raw materials or special mixes.

Every time these mixes are made from raw materials there is a chance it is not the same product.

Now, every time a batch is done there is a team (Quality control) that pics samples from that batch to see the quality and standards.

Certain companies want premium quality rejecting anything less, others are ok with second best other even 3rd tier quality....

They may look identical, but contractual premium clients pics the premium batches (hence the price is higher), others are ok with the rest .

If the manufacturer is tight on standards the difference is almost 0 among batches, so there is no difference between premium and standard (read expensive or less expensive EP)

But if a batch is a bit off, premium brands under contract may decline the batch and wait for the next one.

That "off" batch is picked by a company that sell them for less.

This is a way to keep the manufacturer in business (by not discarding too many batches) and to make both the demanding and the budgeted enthusiasts happy.

Everybody seems to sell a re-branded version of those !

I've used the 28mm (Skywatcher Nirvana), 16mm (William Optics UWAN) and the 4mm (Nirvana) and found them excellent. Very close to the performance of the Tele Vue Nagler equivalents. I still have the 4mm Nirvana and it's an excellent high power eyepiece.

• 2 months later...

I have a Lacerta stand alone auto guider and I had to go on a waiting list for that, I think it works very well and their gear seems to be collecting fans. That said I would think that their QA is good and these will be fine, albeit the same as a good number of other names on the same item.

Alan.

Archived