Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 600D

Gunnar

Hi all.

I am going to by a camera for astrophoto and Im thinking of the canon eos 600d model, I like the flip-out screen on the 600d.

Now I heard some bad reputations about, NOT to buy Canon 550d or the 600d models for astro photo (those have the same sensor i think), because of very high sensor noise in the pictures compared to older canon models.:hello2:

Is there any one out there who can confirm this problem?

Gunnar

I can not confirm this problem, but would just like to say the following. When I got my astro cam, I made sure I had live view as I thought it would be really useful. I can understand that you would feel the same way about a flip out screen.

However, since using the 1000D and using EOSutility for focusing and exposure settings, I realise now that I could easily not have bothered about what I thought was a really important feature - Live view.

So all I am saying is that if others come along and give insight into what you have cited as a possible problem, don't get hung up on the flip out screen.

Hope that makes sense - Sorry I can't answer your real problem.

However, since using the 1000D and using EOSutility for focusing and exposure settings, I realise now that I could easily not have bothered about what I thought was a really important feature - Live view.

Sara can you elaborate on why you say Live-view is not so important? I have an early model without Live-view and was considering changing to a later model.

Thanks, Tony.

Gunnar I have a 550D and I'm very pleased with it's performance it certainly has less noise than the 400D I have. I had a 50D for a while and found this to be noisier. The 600D flexible screen would be a great for viewing the screen when the camera is at a difficult angle.

The only negative that some people have expressed is that the sensor on the 550/600D could be less sensitive than previous models due to the smaller pixel size. This seems to have been negated somewhat by more efficient microlensing in the bayeur matrix.

I havent had much chance to use the 550D as yet but even unmodded I have been impressed with it's sensitivity to Ha rich targets.

Regards

Kevin

Sara can you elaborate on why you say Live-view is not so important? I have an early model without Live-view and was considering changing to a later model.

Thanks, Tony.

Sure Tony - In order to focus and set exposures I use my laptop and EOSUtility (free software with the camera). That allows me to focus on the computer screen.

................. Thinking though, if you don't have live view, can you focus using the screen? :hello2:

Mmm, may have misled you a little - I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this one way or another.

Sorry if I've got it wrong Tony.

I have just got myself a 550D. I thought about a 600D largely because of the tilt screen but then decided it wasn't worth the extra money. If you focus on a bright star rather than the target then you have a fair bit of freedom to choose a comfortable camera position for focusing so the tilt screen doesn't seem to be a "must have" option, unlike live view which definitely is if you aren't hooking up to a computuer.

Hi all!

I finally decided to by the canon eos 500d ;)

Got it yesterday, and today I will be modding it.. any recommendations on which screwdriver size?

Just kidding :), I think that would probably spoil the warranty.

Gunnar

Archived