Summer blues

spaceboy

Hi all

After last nights superb night sky and lovely observing conditions ( not freezing the tips of my fingers off) it has become apparent that I am suffering a case of the summer blues. The thought of having to begin setting up at the **** end of the day (23:00 - 00:00) only to look at a semi transparent Sky's has me defeated before I start. Although the sky can be accepted as a summer shade of dark blue I am well aware that the surrounding LP still occupies the first 20'-30' off the roof top horizons. I admit I got in 30-40 minutes binocular scanning last night and M27 did stand proud in my 15x70's and the rich star fields of the milky way came alive but all I could think was the extra light grab of a 5" aperture would only add to wash any detail away. Am I the only one feeling this way and if not what can be considered a cure for the summer blues. As some of the summer night sky objects are still around in the later darker months I was wondering what objects are only available in summer and if they would be worth a sleepless night? I gave some doubles a go the other night but unless the seeing is steady these can be hard work.

Keeping optimistic for any suggestions.

SPACEBOY

hi mate

don't get too down. I thought the same really over the last couple of times I have observed and the key to success for me was planning what I wanted to see. this resulted in a really good night last night in great conditions. OK it seems my LP may not be as bad as yours but there's still lots to see. do you have an Oiii filter? this would make a real difference to many objects in summer.

read this http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/147053-superb-night-despite-light-s.html although it might make you feel worse :hello2:....I hope not mate.

I certainly feel the same way mate. The excitement I had in winter of looking out the window at work and seeing it get dark and rushing home to get my telescope out to see jupiter is dwindling with having to set up near to bedtime. I went out last night when I got home from being out but could only handle being out for about 40 minutes cus it was 12:30 - 1pm. Awesomely clear sky though so I couldnt go without getting the scope out.

I've started the universe through a small telescope course with liverpool john moores and kinda wish I'd started in winter as the late nights now is a killer haha :D

There was a brilliant meteorite burn up last night at 12:40 - 12:50 last night. Never seen one Pop/explode into flame before :hello2:

Porl''

As some of the summer night sky objects are still around in the later darker months I was wondering what objects are only available in summer and if they would be worth a sleepless night?

SPACEBOY

I was wondering this too, it's not getting dark for me until 12.00-12.30am.

Am I missing out on anything I won't be able to see in 6-8 weeks or so when it starts getting dark a bit earlier. (I don't think so)

How do you beat the blues? I'm not sure, but I guess trying to enjoy it for what it is at the moment and accept the limitations. I don't get as stressed about clouds as much as I used to, remembering "the stars will still be here tommorrow" seems to help.

If you have binoculars that might be an idea as it removes the hassle of setting up, that's what I've been doing lately, popping out for half an our or so before bed with the bins.

I was out until 2am last night. It was a poor night with strong LP right to the zenith but it was the first clear night in weeks. In my garden I only have access to a bit of the south and east so I have to catch the summer objects now. Highlights were M27 through a UHC filter, the ever-reliable M13 and M11 - a new sight for me. I also managed M82 for the first time.

To be honest I am superstitious about observing. I feel not bothering on a clear evening is just the first step back to being a TV zombie...

One more thing - a large scope will not make the sky background brighter than the 15x70s. Background brightness is determined by exit pupil and the bins give an exit pupil of 4.7mm - close to the maximum of 5 to 7mm. A large scope would make stars brighter relattive to the background glow.

The cure for summer blues has a wheel at the front, a wheel at the rear and a large V-twin, pushrod engine in the middle.....

That's only making me feel worse Yeti :hello2::crybaby2::D The company I worked for slowly went bankrupt and and as a consequence I felt the pinch along with it. I ended up having to sell my 06' FLSTFI. I shouldn't complain I got to own one which not many can say and the gaffer ended up loosing his house which is a lot worse. Such is life :)

Yeti, are you allowed to put a petrol engine into a golf buggy?

I think Shibby has it - I'm saving like mad to get myself a DSLR and a 50mm prime lens. From the point I get it - couple of weeks I think - ill be living with it nearby.

Alan

do you have an Oiii filter? this would make a real difference to many objects in summer.

I agree - an OIII makes a real difference. I just got a cheapo SW OIII and it was a great improvement on the Lagoon and Swan nebulae with my 5" frac.

But for me, bins are best for Sagittarius and take no time to set up.

Archived