NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TESTING THE 58MM LENS

CELESCOPE

Whilst waiting for my Dome , i have been trying an old 58mm helios slr lens ,finally sorted out a way of securing it to the scope and Atik ccd , also had a prob wih focus , but a bit of reducing the lens adaptor has now sorted this out,

Tonight started off ok, but by the time i had sorted everything out, the clouds began to appear , but i managed 31 subs at 45 secs set the lens at f8, also tried other settings , but maybe should have used h5.6 with the HA , but anyway this is the Rosette huge wide field,and also the monkey nebula , which is only 12 subs at 45 secs, both these images will be a lot better witha good clear night , but the test proved good , so next time barnards loop is in a good position ,next year , i will take that ,as you can see there is a huge amount of nebulosity there to be had .

Cheers

Rog

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really nice images Rog. widefield-a-go-go eh?

Why the f/8 BTW? When I had a bash at something similar I got one corner kind of in focus, the bit I'd subframed for focusing in focus and the rest all over the place, but I'd put it down to not tightening anything up as I had to leave it all slack in order to get focus at all. Is the 58mm lens not flat enough for the 16HR, or was it something else?

Now I need to get a bash with the 35m f/2.8 to see what that does :)

Captain Chaos

CC it was my fault that mate , i had tested it first without any filters , , i done a 2 min run and found it was over exposed on short subs , so stuck it up to f8 and it worked a treat , then of course i popped the HA in and carried on , if i had gone back to f 4 i would have drawn out more of that faint stuff , but its early days , focussing is sorted now and a good stable fixing , just need a clear night to give it a good run, lovely doing wide field though ,makes a change

Rog

I'm waiting for a T to T adaper coming, then I'm going to put the Atik on the filter wheel, add the wideangle lens and zap away. f/2.8 and 10 second deep subs sounds like fun. Add a bit of anrrowband filtering, no need to think about guiding, can't wait :)

Can't get round the fact that these 16HR cameras are the best fun you can have unless you have no clothes on or several hundred brake horsepower.

Captain Chaos

Can't get round the fact that these 16HR cameras are the best fun you can have unless you have no clothes on or several hundred brake horsepower.

Captain Chaos

Steady on CC :) :)

These cameras do produce excellent results.

Rog excellent pic and a very good basis for creating more masterworks

PS if you are prepared to keep to 2 wheels 150bhp will get the heart pumping.

Ian, I can get my heart pumping with less than 50HP when only two wheels are involved. After playing with the other organ donors, I packed it in. I could handle one on the track (probably no longer), but on the roads you can forget it. Maureen from Driving School is bad in a Transit van, but not immedately fatal. On a bike, on the roads today, I think you are not much better off than a statistic for tomorrow's paper. Too many people I no longer know and one I know who is permanently confined to four wheels.

Enjoy yours, but be very careful.

Captain Chaos

yes cheers guys , this does open up a whole new field of imaging,as you can see the field of view is fantastic, the only down side at the moment is, i can only use one filter at a time, cant get the filter wheel to fit and get focus, not Sure if CC has got that sorted yet.

Rog

Good test Rog and fine WF pics.

That Helios 58mm lens was a cracker on the 35mm SLR I owned, many years ago !. One of the reasons I bought Russian when I took up Astronomy was based of the quality of their camera lenses.

Look forward to seeing many more from this lens.

8)

MD

Why the f/8 BTW?

stuck it up to f8 and it worked a treat

For camera lenses, f8 is the 'sweet spot' (pro photographers have a mantra 'f8 and be there').

Most/all photographic lenses perform at their best 2-3 stops below the minimum aperture. Wide open (as with an astro scope) and fully shut down produces the worse performance.

Good result Rog. That's persuaded me to get myself a second had M42 lens for the SXV H9. It comes with and M42 adaptor and bracket for mounting camera to scope - how many times have I been fooled into thinking things should be hassle free :insects1:

Archived