NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQDIR Advantages?

engstrom

From what I've read EQDIR offers better control over a mount than the functionality you get from a SynScan handset. Stellarium offers you the ability to directly connect to your mount using the right cable but does it offer the superior control as found in EQDIR or does it just emulate the SynScan handset?

Personally I much prefer it. EQDIR and Cartes du Ciel make for a great combo. Plus you have the ability to expand from that and automate as much as you want, and all done on one screen. I use a netbook, which works great and has an awesome battery life. It's about £45 for the adapter, I say go for it ;)

I've given up all hope of getting anything like eqmod on my mac so I'm going to have borrow my wife's pc laptop to control my mount. In the following link

First Light Optics - HitecAstro EQDIR adapter

It shows the eqmod box and the usb end but what cable would I need to connect it to my mount?

I thought you could emulate windows on a mac? Im sure Ive read of other people running ascom on a mac.

Just for clarification purposes.....

The EQDIR adapter is the "translator" from the PC to the mount. It takes the signal via the USB line (or Serial) and converts that to the correct signal for the mount. There is no software with the EQDIR.

EQMOD (or EQASCOM I think it is now) is the software that interfaces between the planetarium and the mount. It uses ASCOM to communicate with the EQDIR module.

You need to install ASCOM and the EQMOD software and then configure EQMOD so it talks to the EQDIR/mount on the right port. In the case of using a USB module, this will be virtual, of course.

The only thing you need to do is check which adapter you need for your mount. In your link to FLO, the left hand one is for the EQ6, the right hand one is probably the HEQ5 Pro. Just make sure you order the right one.

I've been using EQMOD/EQDIR for a couple of years now - in fact, I sold off my handset as I didn't use it at all!

EQDIR is great. Fantastic way to control a mount through your planatarium software of choice. My 'EQDIR' module is this cable: FTDI USB to TTL Serial Cable + Shield (7 Way). Just solder a serial plug on the end using the pin outs described here: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gPICTpR-q3CW3g8S6Qi_UzZRqqA8x_Z8TPAC_zjZEK7jcRVTxeczzIstGhQ7klsTvI38CdHwG3YE5mvPeDPz1M4SZma07y4LD68/Hardware%20Tinkerers/Cable%20Solutions/DYI%20%20EQMOD%20Direct%20Cable.pdf.

Just for clarification purposes.....

EQMOD (or EQASCOM I think it is now) is the software that interfaces between the planetarium and the mount. It uses ASCOM to communicate with the EQDIR module.

In truth ASCOM is an application level (i.e. planetariums/guiding apps etc) interface and doesn't extend down to the EQDirect level (EQDIR is a commercial EQDirect product). So EQMOD acts as a kind of ASCOM to mount protocol convertor, whereas the EQDirect simply provides the electrical interface necessary to connect a PC to the mount.

Chris.

In your link to FLO, the left hand one is for the EQ6, the right hand one is probably the HEQ5 Pro. Just make sure you order the right one.

I've been using EQMOD/EQDIR for a couple of years now - in fact, I sold off my handset as I didn't use it at all!

D'oh! I was being an idiot. I saw the serial cable on the left hand one and just assumed the other was a usb version but I am indeed looking at the cable that plugs into the mount. Roger's mention of the USB A-B cable made me realise what i was looking at on the eqdir box.

George: Yes you can emulate Windows on a Mac but I've never been keen on emulation. I'd rather get native performance from my hardware and apps :-)

BlueAstra - are those leads opto-isolated, or are they a direct connection?

Not sure. It doesn't mention opto isolated in the blurb, so I imagine they are direct. Never had a problem with it, and a fraction of the cost of assembled units. Effectively just a cable from the PC to the mount, so no extra box to locate.

Archived