What should I buy next? I've never had a scope before and i'm getting a CPC 925

Hey

I've ordered a Celestron CPC 925 telescope and it's due to arrive this Friday. I'm quite excited!

I've never owned or used a telescope before but I've always taken an interest in astronomy and all the science behind it.

Now that i've spent a sick amount of money on the scope I think I should at least buy an eyepiece that is worthy of it. I've read a lot on astronomy forums and people seem to say that the 40mm eyepiece you get with it isn't brilliant.

What eyepiece should I buy next? I only want to buy one for the time being and I suspect that initially I will be mainly interested in looking at planets, though I could be wrong about that.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, did you get to test it out then?

I would suggest you get yourself at least 2 eyepieces for using with it, a 32mm and probably a 12 or 13mm, loads of options on which ones but it usually boils down to how much you have to spend.

Alan, I should be getting the scope on Friday. I've checked the weather reports and it's supposed to be only partly cloudy on saturday night, so that might be the first time i try it.

I really am clueless when it comes to eyepieces. What is the difference in quality between the cheaper and most expensive ones? Is it large? What kind of price is the best value for money? Is there a minimum standard/price I should be looking for? Is it not worth buying the cheapest? Where's the middle ground? :-)

Evil, I would guess that baader hyperions and skywatcher aero are the good middle ground based on my research.

A bit cheaper than these but optically the best of the best would be TV plossls and baader genuine orthos. With these latter eps you get great optics but less field and less eye relief.

Well firstly I hope it is clear for you on Friday! Have you taken the time to read this thread? see underneath, it will help to give you an idea what to look for with eyepieces. As to which you may wish to buy I am sure some members will give you an idea, for me I did go a bit overboard moneywise with mine but I know they will last a lifetime and will be good for use in other scopes. Televue plossls are very highly regarded for one but then again they are Televue ;)

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

That article was quite useful, I now have a grasp on what size eyepieces I want.

It doesn't mention anything about what kind of price you should be paying.

This one is 12,5mm Eyepiece Genuine Ortho, 12,5mm [baa-23-2404212] - £71.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day! . Would it be worthwhile getting it or are there others you would recommend instead?

They are very good planetary ep's, I have the 7mm, its given me some excellent views of the Moon as well!

I am not sure... they may be difficult to get hold of at the moment as they are highly sought after, if you can buy one make sure the astro dealer has it in stock before you pay your money otherwise it could be a while before you get it.

I would get one wide view EP, about 32mm, and one planetary EP, about 6mm. Barlow lenses are excellent as well if you are on a budget. Televue is top of the line without question, but be prepared to spend a small fortune (although well worth it). I've been happy with Meade 5000 series, little cheaper but they give good views.

Hi there

A dew shield if it's not been mentioned would be a good investment.

Some say make your own, but I'm lazy so just bought the proper one.

Big fan of hyperions here.

Going to be getting another one soon although I'd like to get a BGO around 7mm to add to my collection as well.

Neil

Some form of dew management is a "must" with the schmidt-cassegrain design - without it your observing sessions could be short and rather frustrating.

Most eyepieces work pretty well with the slow focal ratios of SCT's so there is no need to spend really big bucks, unless you really want to ! Hyperions or the more expensive Vixen LVW's would be excellent choices.

Do remember to allow a decent amount of cool down time if the scope has come from a warm place - 60 mins or more if the temperature difference is significant.

The Hyperion 8mm-24mm Zoom is a great eyepiece to start with on this scope. It's several notches above supplied eye pieces in quality, give you 5 in 1 field stops, and is threaded for attaching dslr's (with t-ring and adaptor).

But get the Mk2 second hand for around £100-£120. Very good vfm and it's crystal clear, with little or no discernable internal reflections. Alternatively the regular hyperions are very good - my favourite is the 8mm but the 13mm would be more practical in the 925 ;)

Hi, I would definately agree with a dewshield and the cool down time, I have tried to keep the time to at least around an hour as jahmanson mentioned. You can use it before but the distortion in the views delivered due internal heat escaping within the tube is a problem, you'll certainly notice the difference when it has had some time to settle down.

Possibly think about joining an astro society near you, drag your scope along and ask the same question, most groups do a night under the stars once in a while, friendly members will offer you there EPs to try out. Then you'll find out what fits.

just a thought, good luck ;)

Glen

Archived