EPs for dobsonian 250px-£200-what would you choose?

Astronomy can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it but unfortunately due to the nature of it cheap comes at it's own price IE: the views you get. I think you are making a good start getting a quality barlow and not rushing in. Who knows? if the HiFi gear sells you may be looking at those Nirvanas after all ;)

SPACEBOY

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Just to throw another spanner in.

I would get the 2" version of a Barlow, as at a later date you may wish to Barlow your 2" eyepieces.

You can still Barlow 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" Barlow but not the other way round.

Good luck with your decision.;)

Regards Steve

Hi

Just to throw another spanner in.

I would get the 2" version of a Barlow, as at a later date you may wish to Barlow your 2" eyepieces.

You can still Barlow 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" Barlow but not the other way round.

Good luck with your decision.:o

Regards Steve

:D Your rattling the cage there SW :) Your going to have the PM vs Barlow debate raging in no time ;) 2" barlow in a reasonable fast scope hmmm.

Thanks for your suggestion,im hoping the 1.25 barlow will be just fine for us for now:) i think most of our EPs will end up being 1.25" and probably just one exspensive 2" low power wide field EP for panoramic views so i dont think the 2" barlow would get much use.

I was debating if to get the celestron ultima barlow from FLO or the TV barlow from ebay-supprisingly the TV is 6 pounds cheaper! but i think in the long run the TV will hold its value better-but on the hazard side i may want to match it with TV EPs:D

Oh well, i gave up smoking 3 weeks ago yesterday so any money saved is far better spent on TV EPs than ciggarettes:)

That thing looks like a beast! bet the views are stunning!!.;)

UPDATE-just sold my seben stye 6" reflector for £60 to a locle guy in bournemouth, he was totaly new to telescopes so i completly explained its limitations to him, the poor finder scope, how it looks better than it acctualy is, and how its only really any good for looking at the moon and a few bright DSOs, he was completly happy with that, and that really he just wants to look at the moon with it, and how its got to be better than something from toys r us!

I have to agree-also showed him stellarium and virtual moon, and showed him an afocal pic i took of the moon so he can see what kind of views it will give. He seems really happy with it :D

Could take that 60, put it with the £25 set aside for a cheshire and buy a decent laser collimator? new topic i think:P well after searching because thats probably been done to death lol.

Sorry to poach but this thread has thrown me now. I thought I had it all straight in my head.

Is the 21mm Hyperion hopeless in the 250PX? Would I be better off with a 20mm TV Plossl? Is there anything better than the Hyperion for under £100 at about 20mm with >60° afov and >15mm eyerelief?

BTW - I don't really like the 80° plus afov eyepieces. About 60 - 70° is just comfortable for me. I also like the fold down eyecups on Meade/Rev Plossl and Hyperion eyepieces so there is little point in me saving for a Nagler.

Sorry to poach but this thread has thrown me now. I thought I had it all straight in my head.

Is the 21mm Hyperion hopeless in the 250PX? Would I be better off with a 20mm TV Plossl? Is there anything better than the Hyperion for under £100 at about 20mm with >60° afov and >15mm eyerelief?

BTW - I don't really like the 80° plus afov eyepieces. About 60 - 70° is just comfortable for me. I also like the fold down eyecups on Meade/Rev Plossl and Hyperion eyepieces so there is little point in me saving for a Nagler.

you might get a used 18mm Radian for about £100. they are excellent.

on the OP's query, I'd reckon that the advice to hold off for a bit is well worth it's weight. once a bit more observing is done he'll know what he will use more. as he has a rdf (although personally I prefer Telrads) maybe a right angled finder would be of good use for now (I use both Telrad and right angle finder on my dobs) and also I agree that a collimation tool (Cheshire is best in my experience) would be good.

the barlow will be useful for a number of things, not least confirming that at certain eyepiece focal length will be right if he decides to get a fixed eyepiece rather than barlow one with a longer focal length.

For a wide EP I really would give the Meade SWA 5000 Series some very serious consideration. These were £300+ EP which Meade are selling off to make way for the updated range. Something like the 28mm would be ideal :hello2: Try Bern @ Modern Astronomy as he was able to offer me the best price for the 34mm.

i use a meade 5000swa 20mm ep with my 200p dob..........fantastic ep.i,m sure the 28mm will be just as good:)

review here http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1270

Archived