Cat amongst the pigeons!

Like every beginner new to Astronomy I am constantly looking at SGL for advice & scanning ther internet for clues to find the perfect starter scope, and constantly changing my mind with what to do.

The advise I got from the Astronomical Society which I am a member was to go for a 5" SCT or MCT.

However, for quality of observations (DSO, planertary & lunar) the Dobsonian "appears" to be the best performer.

With my initial budget of £600 - £700, I have come to the conclusion that through saving up & increase my budget to £800 - £900 I would be able to purchase a Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ5) to use for away from home at star parties or on holiday and either a Skyliner 200P Fkextube (with or without AUTO tracking) or Skywatcher Explorer 200P (EQ5) Newtonian to use in the back garden.

I would be very grateful as always on members thoughts and comments.:)

Thanks

Andy

Andy, I think you have a good budget, and have obviously looked into your options. Your use and required viewing appears to be covered by your choice of scope. I would agree that you are making quite a good choice IMO. I like the choice of the Dob for DSOs and Evo 120 for away and star parties.. I'm sure other members will be able to advise accordingly. I would prehaps consider getting a few good eyepieces once you're used to them too. Good Luck! :)

I'd be looking for something on a motorised EQ5 mount for that kind of money. You probably won't get a GOTO mount unless your lucky second hand - but it's not really necessary and you'll learn far more without it. Scope wise a 102 or 120mm refractor or 6-8" newtonian is a good starting point. Anything much bigger is tricker to handle and somewhat less portable.

I have no experience of using Dobs but quite fancy the idea of a 'big dob' for dragging outside occasionaly once my obsy is finished!

I would get a skymax 127 on an eq3 or az4 as its easier to pack and will give views that are almost as good as the evostar for travelling and would choose the ordinary dob over the flexitube, but they are your choices and seem good ones. both very nice scope. Personally I am not a fan of eq mounts for purely visual use although for ds photograhy they seem to be essential but that's only my opinion. I just see it as an unnecessary expense

If you're going to all the effort of finding dark skies at star parties and campsites then it would a great justification to take the biggest dob you can afford, or the best imaging rig you have available. :)

If you're going to all the effort of finding dark skies at star parties and campsites then it would a great justification to take the biggest dob you can afford, or the best imaging rig you have available. :)

Actually, in hindsight and having read Kim's reply, B) that does seem like an option if you can afford it? The old adage for dobs being "the bigger, the better" when it comes to aperture.. :)

It does depend on the transport you have available and what type of holiday you do. By the time I have got family and camping equipment in our car there isnt room for much astro gear. if you use a caravan I guess more equipment is possible.

To me the whole point of a star party is to get the best you can from your best scope so I'd have to go with Kim on that.

I couldn't imagine going to a star party without my 14" Dob.

If it's just a weekend camping with friends and family then the Megrez 88 is the one I take.

Having recently brought a scope, and like most above I would say buy the biggest aperture you can because you'll be wanting more and more before too long.

You did not mention imaging? So assuming visual would be your intention, the biggest dob for your budget would give you the best all-round views, the bigger the aperture the more objects will be in your grasp (Especially important if you live in/close to the city). Tracking and GOTO are preferences, but remember these will take up a fairly large amount of the budget, and I'm sure these could be added at a later date.

Completely agree.

No point leaving your big Dob at home. I use my baby Dob when local but always take the larger scope to dark skies.

Regards Steve

As always many thanks for your comments.

With the weather in UK being **** this weekend so have takne the opportunity to investigate, & research. In short in time I do want to do some imaging but do not want to "run before I have learnt to walk".

Maintenance wise a refractor would be a good starter but biggest disadvantage would be observing at zenith. Visually the reflector is going to give me the "wow factor" I am craving whilst observing.

SCT & MST are good scopes but for a decent aperature my budget isn't going top allow much for getting accesories.

After reviewing this weekend I "believe" I have found 2 options I need to consider:

Skywatcher Explorer 200P (EQ mount) or Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Flexitube Auto.

Are there any reviews or experiences on both of these telescopes that anyone can share?

Archived