GOT MY SCOPE

Hi guys got my new scope well not brand new second hand on e-bay knowing what e-bay can be like went up to see before I parted with any money wanted to see it first I might not know to much as I'm new to astronomy but have read about what you guys have said and I also think its best to see before you buy, the scope's a skywatcher pro series 150 mac on a eq5 when I saw it could not believe the condition the hole thing was like brand new also with the sale was

a celestron ultima barlow lens 2x,

3 meade eye pieces which are super plossl ; 6.4, 12.4 and 32ml

1celestron super plossl 12mm

standard skywatcher 12mm and baader 0III filter even gave me a cover to put over it when not in use

The guy is in to astronomy and was very helpful showing me how to align/collimate the scope said if I get any problems I can phone him, he brought it 2yrs ago at telescope house.

Hope I'v got it right any feedback from you guys would be appreciated

robbie c.

That sound like a lovely set of kit for good lunar and planetary views and with 6" aperture you should be okay for many deep sky objects as well. The OIII may be a bit much for a scope that size, but is a great filter to have and could help on many nebulae.

Congratulations on a very nice scope.

The only tips I'd give you would be:

- If the scope is being kept indoors, allow a good amount of cool-down time. Maks do need a bit longer than newtonians to reach thermal equilibrium.

- If you don't already have one, either buy, or make a dew shield for the scope and / or invest in a heated anti-dew band. Scopes with a lot of glass at the top end attract dew like a magnet and it can quickly spoil the fun.

The planetary and lunar views can be exquisite under good conditions with a mak-cassegrain.

You can do a lot with a 6" mak - especially on planets - should get some nice sharp and contrasty views with Jupiter on it's way round again. The EQ5 is a good mount capable of handling several ota's. Seems like a nice setup and with the extras I'd say a great starter kit. Congrats :)

Thanks one and all for your kind words and advice cant wait to get out there and try it out was hoping to get out last night nice clear sky's, that was until I got I got home then the clouds rolled in :)

Archived