NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C100 ED upgrade

Isn't the forum a wonderful thing. I have made three seperate purchases to get a C100 where I want it to be. I bought the scope then was offered an Agena ring, I thought this will come in handy one day. Then a very nice Skywatcher focusser with a Baader adaptor to fit teh Agena ring came up. I not normally that lucky that things fall into place like this, so thanks guys.

All this was assembled today and it's looking clear to try it out tonight. The focusser is better than I was expecting, Skywatcher have done a really nice job on this. The scope now looks like what Celestron should have done in the first place.

Just need to sort out a finder, which I think is in hand.

post-12841-133877614633_thumb.jpg

post-12841-133877614641_thumb.jpg

Had a look at the Moon and took some pics to have a play really.

It was boiling like made and getting low down which wasn't helping much. Nice and windy too. I know this isn't great and hope to improve on a better night but this is straight out of the camera. It's the colour that strikes me most, or lack of it.

The focusser was a dream to use. The R&P isn't bad for what it is but when you've used a dual crayford and can fine tune with the tip of your finger there really is no comparrison.

post-12841-133877614678_thumb.jpg

Hi, that's a great scope you have there, I have the Celestron version and am dead pleased with it, bought by special offer off FLO, and got the Vixen Porta II just like you, which is great :)

post-16182-133877614923_thumb.jpg

post-16182-133877614931_thumb.jpg

post-16182-133877614938_thumb.jpg

Mines a Celestron too, same scope just that yours is even posher with a Moonlite, nice. I find it ok on the Porta for some visual, though it was hard work with the original focusser.

Hi Lee, hadn't even thought of using a SCT reducer, does it work ok?

Will you be at Folkestone for the Lunar eclispe?

I think Opticstar still sell a nice cheap WO clone finder mount for that focuser so you can use all the RDF type finders with an 11mm rail. Just in case you wanted to add a finder.

Hi Stardust, I bought mine as a package already with the Moolite, which, of course, works like a dream. £495 for the OTA with Moonlite. I do visual use only, it is therefore spot on, especially with some decent EP's

I just bought (well, put a deposit on) a C100ED tonight. Can't wait to pick it up!

Can I ask, what fitment focuser should I look for to fit the Agena adaptor?

Is there a standard?

Also, would my SCT focal reducer fit in anywhere in the optics train? And would it function as it should?

I know :) questions questions questions! :icon_eek:

Hello Mr Bond, (never thought I'd ever say that)

We must start an owners club for these scopes:D

The focusser to the fit the Agena adaptor needs to have a 86mm flange to fit. These don't seem to be that common, I think TS sell one and of course Agena, which might be the easiest option.

Johninderby will be able to tell you which Baader part is needed to use a Skywatcher focusser, I'm happy with that set up.

You can make the SCT reducer fit, there are various adaptors to do this. I'll be trying a 2" to sct adaptor, then the reducer followed by a SCT diagonal or sct back to 2" for the DSLR. Best I try it out before you buy all the tubes.

There you go.......

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p770_Adapter-fuer-den-2--Steeltrack-Refraktor-Auszug---auf-90mm.html

Adaper for 2" Steeltrack (Refractor version) to OTA with 90mm diameter

This adapter makes the connection between the Steeltrack focuser and OTA with 86mm inner diameter. ( = most tubes with 90mm outside diameter, such as Skywatcher 80/400mm, 90/900mm and similar )

Length 17.3mm - thee inner threads M4 - 9mm from the rim

John

Thanks folks.

Interesting and also a touch incomprehensible to me.

Question, what ia a "steel track" focuser please?

Sorry for all these questions!

That's just Baaders brand of focuser but the adaptor fits most other crayfords as well.

John

Very nice Stardust. I have been tempted several times to get a C100ED but one of the reasons I've hesitated was the R&P focuser and that it's not a straight forward swap. I would be interested to know what the total cost came in compared to a S/H SW 100ED.

Archived