Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first telescope outing

skfboiler

I bought my first scope, a six inch reflector, in March of this year. Last week was the first week we had clear skies. I pointed the scope towards Saturn and there it was. I started out with 30x. Then I went to 75x and then to 150x with the help of my 2x Barlow. I believe I saw 3 moons as well. What I did not expect is how fast the object moves out of the FOV. By the time I switched 75x to 150x, Saturn was out of the FOV. Good thing for my equatorial mount I was able to get Saturn back with just a few turns of the RA knob. Since it moves so fast I could not a good amount of time spend time studying Saturn. I still enjoyed what I saw.

Saturn was my first target when I got my 6", awesome sight. Good news is that your zenlike skills of turnung the RA knob to keep up improve greatly with very little practice.

Good that you had a good first outing, it only gets better from here on.

Well done with saturn, it's the equivalent of a bacon sandwich to a vegetarian for astronomers just starting out. Seems to be everyones first sight. I saw it through a small frac 23 years ago and thought WOW.

Another thing that I did not realize is how sensitve the scope is to vibration. After touching the scope to adjust the RA knob or change lenses, I have to wait to let the scope vibrtion settle or the viewing object will shake.

Not the first but one of the first things I saw. It was through a 50mm cheapy scope at x30 and just looked like a small rugby ball but I still thought it was great. That was in 1984 and I still remember the night very clearly. When I renewed my observing with a 6" scope I was blown away.

Archived