Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Milky Way

Hello all,

I have just returned from a few nights camping at Shell Island in west Wales and after 2 nights of cloud, the 3rd night eventually revealed an excellent clear sky. I was showing my friends the different constellations and pointing out Saturn and Porrima, but the best sight came at around 12:30 when we started to see the Milky Way, it was awesome. One of my friends is totally in awe now and after questioning my decision to buy a telescope a few months back, was now saying he needed to get one. The only disappointing thing for me, is that where I live is light polluted so I can not see half the stars I saw whilst there, but nonetheless, it was a magical experience.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing it. I rarely see the Milky Way from my locality and when I catch it elsewhere, awe is the only possible reaction. We often holiday in a rural backwater in France and every night marvel at the ribbon of light across the sky. Makes you wonder what early humans made of the sight.

I am quite jealouse reading this :) On an average night I can just spot all the stars from the great dipper.

Still remember the nights in national park in NZ where you actaully had the feeling the whole sky was brilliantly glowing down on you. And yes I could even see the milky way there, must have been the last time I saw it.

Hello all,

I have just returned from a few nights camping at Shell Island in west Wales and after 2 nights of cloud, the 3rd night eventually revealed an excellent clear sky. I was showing my friends the different constellations and pointing out Saturn and Porrima, but the best sight came at around 12:30 when we started to see the Milky Way, it was awesome. One of my friends is totally in awe now and after questioning my decision to buy a telescope a few months back, was now saying he needed to get one. The only disappointing thing for me, is that where I live is light polluted so I can not see half the stars I saw whilst there, but nonetheless, it was a magical experience.

Tell him theres a great 150P + EQ3/2 for sale STILL in the For sale section. :)

I'm off to Galloway Forest next week and I hope I have the same experience!

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, it's a great place - but you're unlikely to be able to see the Milky Way there at this time of year as the sky doesn't get dark enough. (There'll also be a full moon).

I went out to my dark site the other week and as long as the moon is out of the way the MW becomes visible around 1:00 although as Acey says it never really gets dark dark! and depending on you altitude dawn begins breaks around 3:30.

At the latitude of Galloway Forest (which is about the same as Kielder) there's no full darkness from early May until early August, and the night sky never gets darker than twilight between mid-June and early July. My own dark site is at that latitude, and I stop deep-sky observing altogether during that period, so I can't report on the visibility of the Milky Way at that time. The darkest time of night is 1a.m. so that would certainly be the best time to try, though the Moon next week will certainly wash it out.

Earlier this year I measured the sky brightness at my dark site just before dawn as the Milky Way disappeared from view, and I reckoned that the brightest part I could see (the Cygnus region) required a sky brightness of 20 mag/sq" to be visible, corresponding to a naked-eye limiting magnitude of about 5.5. People's eyes vary, and so does the brightness of the Milky Way along its stretch, but I would suggest that 5.5 is the sort of limiting magnitude required to see the Milky Way.

A good way of checking limiting magnitude is to use the stars of Ursa Minor:

http://mydarksky.com/docs/NELM.pdf

From the chart, the star very close to 5th magnitude Eta has magnitude 5.5. Hence I would suggest that being able to see this star is an indication of whether you are likely to see the Milky Way (assuming it is high enough in the sky). If you can only see the main stars of Ursa Minor (i.e. down to mag 5) then I think you would be unlikely to be able to see the Milky Way.

At the latitude of Galloway Forest (which is about the same as Kielder) there's no full darkness from early May until early August, and the night sky never gets darker than twilight between mid-June and early July. My own dark site is at that latitude, and I stop deep-sky observing altogether during that period, so I can't report on the visibility of the Milky Way at that time. The darkest time of night is 1a.m. so that would certainly be the best time to try, though the Moon next week will certainly wash it out.

Thanks for the info, acey, unfortunately I forgot to check which phase the moon was in before booking the trip - schoolboy error!! I am going back again in December though so hoping that will be an even darker experience.

There's a star party in October so might be an idea to book then if your flexible on when you can go. You wouldn't need to cart your scope along as I'm sure someone there would let you have a look through their scope. I'm sure they would then have to beat you off with a stick as you hog the views :)

Thanks for the info, acey, unfortunately I forgot to check which phase the moon was in before booking the trip - schoolboy error!! I am going back again in December though so hoping that will be an even darker experience.

December will be great - let's just hope we don't have another winter like the last (my dark site was unreachable for weeks because of snow).

Moon phase is always the first thing I check before booking any holiday (i.e. if it's somewhere dark, is it worth taking a scope - and if it's somewhere light-polluted, will I be missing out on potential moonless viewing back home?). For deep sky in UK the best time, I reckon, is March-April, and that would be my first choice if I were booking a dark-sky holiday. But that's also the poorest time for viewing the Milky Way, which is best seen in summer if the sky is dark enough. For that you need to go south.

In any case, enjoy your trip to Galloway, which is a wonderful area with lots to do.

But that's also the poorest time for viewing the Milky Way, which is best seen in summer if the sky is dark enough. For that you need to go south.

Is that so? I'm racking my brain now to think of anywhere on the south coast I could visit that doesn't have LP :)

Is that so? I'm racking my brain now to think of anywhere on the south coast I could visit that doesn't have LP :)

I like Greece or the Canaries. Great view of the Milky Way's Scorpius-Sagittarius region (the best bit) from either of those. Or you could try Australia.

Had a fantastic view of the Milky Way when on holiday a few years back, we were in Bodmin Moor at a place called Bolventor. Never seen so many stars even though it was around the last week of June! On a good night I can get a faint hint of it here too.

I like Greece or the Canaries. Great view of the Milky Way's Scorpius-Sagittarius region (the best bit) from either of those. Or you could try Australia.

I guess I could try Australia. Now where did I put the spare fuel can :)

Ahhh Shell Island, a favourite camping site of mine, I go there many times a year and have done since I was very little. The skies can get amazingly dark, especially in the depths of spring and autumn when the eternal twilight is out of the way. There is a little LP from the neighbouring towns and also the floodlight that illuminate the car park at the top, despite this I have had some great views from there with my (now deceased) pair of binoculars :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/118529-darks-sky-observing-deepest-wales.html?highlight=DEEPEST+wales

Aaargh, I must go to a good dark site some time! Would absolutely love to see the Milky Way. This question might be a bit silly, but you can you get pollution-free skies on a night-time ferry crossing or plane journey? The plane journey occurs above a lot of atmosphere but there are thick windows that probably dim a lot of light...

can you get pollution-free skies on a night-time ferry crossing or plane journey?

The problem is light in the plane cabin or on the ship - this prevents your eyes from adapting so that it's hard to get a decent view.

• 2 weeks later...

I live west of Sydney and the blue mountains in Australia and the milky way is visible with great clarity any night when there's no moon or clouds. I guess it's a case of "grass is greener" because I'd really love to see the big dipper.

Never contented!

Thanks Isabelle!

I guess I'm lucky enough to live in an area with reasonably dark skies. I tend to get forgetful and walk out at night for a cigarette then spend an hour or so just staring at the sky. It's the most relaxing activity I know, and as a single dad of a teenage boy, he's learned to accept if I disappear I'll be out in the front yard.

StokieMarc, thanks for sharing that experience. Unfortunately LP destroys any chances of seeing the Milky Way from where I am. One day, I hope to see it from a dark site and take it in, from the posts and various accounts it's an awe-inspiring sight..:hello2:

Aaargh, I must go to a good dark site some time! Would absolutely love to see the Milky Way. This question might be a bit silly, but you can you get pollution-free skies on a night-time ferry crossing or plane journey? The plane journey occurs above a lot of atmosphere but there are thick windows that probably dim a lot of light...

Difficult in a plane cabin- though I did enjoy a cracking night time thunderstorm over Florida at 30,000 feet by putting a dark coat over my head and hogging the plane window. Bet the other passangers wondered what I was up to!!

Most ships are lit up like christmas trees at night so stargazing might be difficult. Years ago though I remember a friend on a Medteranean cruise ship telling me the Captian ordered all the non navigational lights out one night so the passengers could enjoy an exceptionally clear night. We need more people like him in this world!!

Most ships are lit up like christmas trees at night so stargazing might be difficult. Years ago though I remember a friend on a Medteranean cruise ship telling me the Captian ordered all the non navigational lights out one night so the passengers could enjoy an exceptionally clear night. We need more people like him in this world!!

Cargo ships trips is the way to see best night sky you could get. Grimaldi lines are doing it currently: Pathfinder :: Grimaldi Lines

Archived