Change of Direction

Hi folks,

I purchased a NEQ6 Pro Syntrek mount new from RV last year and all the miscellaneous equipment for guided AP but I'm finding that all the system is doing is gathering dust. It hasn't been used since SGL6 !

I think the biggest problem, other than the UK weather, is the setup time to get everything connected, drift aligned, take images then break the system down and go to bed. All of this set up time makes me really look at the weather ahead and the moon phase and if it isn't perfect I don't bother.

So I'm thinking of selling all of my system and investing in an Astrotrac and solar scope which would be far more portable and quicker to set up and therefore would be used a lot more, both in the day for solar viewing and at night I can use my prime lens for some basic wide field AP.

I've no interest in observing only the photography side of astronomy.

Any input would be appreciated before I put everything up onto the sale board.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in this position myself, Kev and so very nearly gave up about five years ago. I tried a smaller telescope in place of my 10" Reflector but this didn't really make too much difference to the setup time and combining this factor with the clouds coming in far too often soon after getting set up I was THAT close to selling the whole lot!

My salvation came in the shape of a very understanding wife and an observatory in my back garden. Now you don't need a dome like mine (in fact a cheaper roll-off roof design has much in its favour) and if that's not a possibility then a roll-off protective construction (a small telescope sized shed) around the system would resolve the issue for you.

If you don't fancy that then your Astrotrak/Solar idea has much merit.

In that case, the Astrotrac would be a good basis for you although remember that it too would require polar alignment - not as critical for widefield but still a necessity.

For what it's worth, I am so glad I didn't give it all up ..........

In that case, the Astrotrac would be a good basis for you although remember that it too would require polar alignment - not as critical for widefield but still a necessity.

For what it's worth, I am so glad I didn't give it all up ..........

I was budgeting for the polarscope for the Astrotrac. I was also thinking that when APT has the DARV alignment process working I can drift align with my DSLR

I guess thats when I do go out I am using the EQ3-Pro more than any of my other setups at the moment.. I dont bother with all the Computer control marlarky .. just plonk a DSLR with a lens and timer remote onto it using a short piece of dovetail and a B&S head, PA it using the Polar scope, I don't star align just enable sidereal tracking and it's up and running... I use a Hotshoe mounted RDF for poinitng it in the general direction of the target Widefield is very forgiving ...

The Obs setup hasnt been used all year and the Guided Multi DSLR setup is gathering dust...

Just haven't got the "enthusiasm" to use them anymore...

Peter...

Is there no friendly farmer who could let you leave your stuff set up, or the mount at least, in a regular spot? You would only need a very small device to cover just the mount.

I know I would never have the determination to image other than from an observatory, though the Astrotrac is a good idea. If ever you are feeling flush the Tak polar alignment routine takes only 2 minutes and will get you long subs from there.

Olly

Olly

Other then a pier and a semi permanent set-up to reduce the time or a permanent set-up no real answer.

I will however ask how long you expected an EQ6 and full guidance system to set up each time before you could start any AP? I would have said that an hour to an hour and a half would have to be expected easily. I would say that 2 hours to set up, 2 hours imaging and 2 hours to take down would be a minimum for one night.

Next question is could any of the equipment be set up before it gets dark? Sort of mount outside, scopes attached and balanced, pointed the right direction. Anything to reduce the setup time later.

If you get the Astrotrac it will still require some set up and alignment. To get an accuracy as good as an EQ6 it may require a lot of alignment or simply may never match it. If the Astrotrac goes on an EQ mount then you have the same accuracy of setup required for the EQ mount.

I am wondring if you are thinking that a smaller set of equipment will be substantially quicker when it may not be.

You presently have the right equipment for astrophotography and replacing it will mean that you don't have the right equipment for astrophotopraphy. The consequence of doing AP well is that there is a detailed and accurate set up time.

I did accept, before buying the system, that it was going to take an hour plus to set up and rough align the system. I just didn't allow for all of the fine tuning that was required each time to get the optimum alignment that I would be happy with.

A lot of the problem is down to me trying to pick and choose the right nights to AP. I don't normally bother a week either side of the full moon which immediately reduces the chances of a good night down to 50% and then unless the forecast is clear all night I don't bother going out.

With a permanent setup I guess you can be up and imaging in a few minutes so there are more opportunities and even if the weather closes in you will probably collect some data.

I am wondring if you are thinking that a smaller set of equipment will be substantially quicker when it may not be
I realise it wouldn't be quicker to get the same level of accuracy but it would certainly be more flexible for wide field work and solar.

I feel your pain Kev.

I've been observing for years using binos and small scopes but recently got into the AP side with the kit in my sig. In the two months I've had it, it has actually imaged twice and one of them was solar. And that has been with me at home every day.

Also thinking that I should pack in the idea of AP and just go back to observing, i.e. selling it all and just getting a large dob.

Cheers

Ian

I thought that, by guiding, you could dispense with drift alighnment, thereby saving time on setting up?

I have to setup each time as well, but have reduced the time to well under an hour (without drift alighnment) by organising my kit prior to going out. I can get it all back indoors in under 15 minutes (unorganised). I then 'tidy' it all up at a later time.

I just wonder if you will miss what you have if you sell your kit and we get a few weeks of clear skies?

I just wonder if you will miss what you have if you sell your kit and we get a few weeks of clear skies?

I'm also thinking the same but with the limited number of AP hours available through the summer nights I could spend a lot more hours playing with solar and still have the option for wide field AP.

I've pretty much decided that I'll go down that route but wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something very obvious.

I do like the idea of a Lunt sat on an Astrotrac with a DLSR or CCD behind it.

Surely fixing a permanent pier into the ground is a doable project. At least the mount, once polar aligned could stay in place, and you would only need to unclamp the scopes. Adequate weather protection is available when not in use. Wiring can be colour coded to facilitate re connections, and that will save time. Using the same USB ports would prevent driver issues popping up.

Just another suggestion to try to persuade you not to give up.:)

Ron.

L.ike you, I'm away most nights of the week, but looking for a location on my travels where I can set up near a hotel.

At home I have 3 plastic cups designed for furniture legs, buried in the lawn, so that I can get the tripod and mount quickly set up and near polar aligned.

Then do polar and star alignment.

Like Pete, I do this ahead and total set up is just under an hour.

Taking down is about 15 minutes and tidy up the following day.

Disadvantage is that the clouds roll in when scope has cooled and all has be taken down.

It doesn't leave many nights and working from home can sometimes help.

It can be frustrating at times but only you can decide what's best. Others here will help.

Surely fixing a permanent pier into the ground is a doable project. At least the mount, once polar aligned could stay in place, and you would only need to unclamp the scopes. Adequate weather protection is available when not in use. Wiring can be colour coded to facilitate re connections, and that will save time. Using the same USB ports would prevent driver issues popping up.

Just another suggestion to try to persuade you not to give up.:)

Ron.

A pier at home would be doable but I'm only there a couple of evenings a week so its use would be very limited. If I leased somewhere else more suitable on Anglesey that had a garden it would be more practicable. My complete setup is now in a loom for easy connections and so I don't forget a cable :)

I don't plan on giving up but I do want maximise the chances of getting out with a system and getting some data, at the moment that just isn't happening.

Hi Kev,

I'm working on the next major update of APT and one of the features there will be manual DARV (without ASCOM connection). In the yahoo group there was hint how DARV can be used with AT. There will be description in the manual for AT :) The expected release date is somewhere in June

Hi Kev,

I'm working on the next major update of APT and one of the features there will be manual DARV (without ASCOM connection). In the yahoo group there was hint how DARV can be used with AT. There will be description in the manual for AT :) The expected release date is somewhere in June

Thanks for the update Ivo :)

• 3 weeks later...

hello kev,

how are you doing with your incredible arduino bulb meter project...?

about the astrotrac: I use the newer version since about 1/2 a year for wide to medium field up to 200 mm and am very happy. I even managed owl nebula once with a borrowed Nikon AFS 500/4 + 2x TC3-E2 converter + 1,5 crop D300...

but that was about the maximum load the AT could hold depending on AZ.

I find the setup time of the AT ok, If you are used to PA and use the geared manfrotto head this is normally done in less than 20-25 minutes.

however the AT has one limiting factor: it is the very bad engineered polarscope, which is loose, falls down to the floor due to the weak magnetic holder etc...

the AT forum is full of magnetic holder workarounds and reticule adjustment tips for the PS. a pity to such a otherwise great engineered product and idea.

but aside from that I can fully recommend the AT. Tipp: when you buy it in a store, be sure to check out the PS, and if they have some ATs more, check the other PS too and take the best one of a charge. then recommend that they do a reticule adjustment for you.

I bought mine at Telescope Service in Munich at the store itself, and the tech did a nice adjustment without any problems.

my 50c

cheers

Christoph

Christophmalin.com

ps: I've finished a astronomic landscape timelapse recently and it is on National Geographic... just google for "Black Hole Sun" on NAT GEO... hope you like it!

I have been trough the same "process".. for me theres no point in solar from home as dont get a clear view of the sun for a big chunk of the year - and isnt the sun going to sleep :) ...

Even on clear nights I am not using the obs setup but "enjoying" uncomplicated widefield imaging from the EQ3-pro...

Peter...

I saw the Black Hole Sun a while back, VERY impressive :)

thanks kev, much aprecciated from a top photographer like you! oh, and you may want to check it out again... I did a new edit in parts of the vid (as well as a new outtakes and surprises section).

I spent about 3 to 4 years imaging with an eq6 and 10" newt with no permanent set-up.

I drift aligned once and then marked the points where the tripod legs met the ground and then drilled shallow holes so the mount could be put back in the same position time and time again.

The only set-up time was putting the system together.

I would leave the cameras set-up on the scope and didn't even have to adjust the focus most nights.

My setting up would go ...... Tripod legs then mount head then weights then 10" newt with 80ed piggybacked (all with camera still attached) and then just plug it all into the PC, 90% of the setup could be done before dark.

It was a pain when the weather turned cloudy and I would break it all down for it to clear again just as I finished.

At the end of the day it's all down to how much you want to do it.

If imaging with the EQ6 is a chore, lose it and go for the quicker set-up.

At the time the results were always worth the effort but now I have an obs I could never go back.

Mike.

post-13376-133877620018_thumb.jpg

Archived