Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Change of Direction

I use the astrotrac for imaging upto 300mm focal length and it works a treat. I can be setup aligned and imaging in about 15 minutes flat.

I have also packed it all into a rucksack and hiked out into the wild of snowdonia away from civilaisation. Try doing that with a standard GEM

However it is not ideal for use with longer OTA as flexure can be an issue.

I have been tempted to get a full EQ mount and have noted your sale of your NEQ6... I wonder if I can find the space to store it ;)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the astrotrac for imaging upto 300mm focal length and it works a treat. I can be setup aligned and imaging in about 15 minutes flat.

I have also packed it all into a rucksack and hiked out into the wild of snowdonia away from civilaisation. Try doing that with a standard GEM

However it is not ideal for use with longer OTA as flexure can be an issue.

I have been tempted to get a full EQ mount and have noted your sale of your NEQ6... I wonder if I can find the space to store it ;)

I'm going in the other direction and switching to an Astrotrac and a decent solarscope lol

I'm going in the other direction and switching to an Astrotrac and a decent solarscope lol

Know how you feel, I would offer a trade if it was not the case that you would need to prise the astrotrac from my cold dead hands first.

I think its that good :D

Just need to convince the other half that I need a GEM "another mount!" is the response I get ;)

The good old phrase "A happy wife is a happy life" springs to mind :)

If you have any questions regarding the Astrotrac do ask, I don't claim to be an expert but I can tell you how I have got on with it.

Mark

I really feel for you Kev and have gone through a similar thought process. I decided to have both and they both get equal amount of time being used.

The Astrotrac is great and can be setup, polar aligned and be tracking stars in less than 15 minutes. My HEQ5 and all the gubbins is usually setup and imaging within 45 minutes.

I'm sure you'll love the pick up and go flexibility of the Astrotrac.....just watch for the polar scope falling out of the holder, that's a real pain.

Good luck.

I'm sure you'll love the pick up and go flexibility of the Astrotrac.....just watch for the polar scope falling out of the holder, that's a real pain.

Good luck.

I use an elastic band to hold it in place.

Also you need to check the collimation of the polar scope. Mine was way off when I bought it. ;)

I use an elastic band to hold it in place.

Also you need to check the collimation of the polar scope. Mine was way off when I bought it. ;)

I take mine out once polar aligned.:D

Yes my polar scope was out by quite a way and is quite fiddly to get collimated but once done works very well I've found.

Hi Photosbykev,

Have a similar link to yourself, my wife is from Cheltenham and I am from Holyhead!.

Have 10"Lx, st 120 and 102Mak. I don't know how many times i have shifted the lx only to have cloud cover and move the 60 odd lb tube back in. Only thing for me is a pier (when i have acquired enough brownie points). I long for the dark skies of nwales (except if you are near Wylfa!).

I think we all can sympathise with you in direction, good luck with the kit cull.

Damian

I really feel for you Kev and have gone through a similar thought process. I decided to have both and they both get equal amount of time being used.

The Astrotrac is great and can be setup, polar aligned and be tracking stars in less than 15 minutes. My HEQ5 and all the gubbins is usually setup and imaging within 45 minutes.

Good luck.

I've already been on the astrotrac forum and seen some mods lol

Hi Photosbykev,

Have a similar link to yourself, my wife is from Cheltenham and I am from Holyhead!.

Have 10"Lx, st 120 and 102Mak. I don't know how many times i have shifted the lx only to have cloud cover and move the 60 odd lb tube back in. Only thing for me is a pier (when i have acquired enough brownie points). I long for the dark skies of nwales (except if you are near Wylfa!).

I think we all can sympathise with you in direction, good luck with the kit cull.

Damian

I live in Gloucester but work at Wylfa lol

Archived