Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory build reference threads - suggestions needed

Helen

I'm going to put together a few stickies for the top of the Observatory section which can be a starting point for people thinking of building and observatory. These will be reference only (no chat).

As a starting point I'd like to link to really useful threads (there are a few really good ones running at the moment).

So please can I have nominations for inclusion?

Also I'd like views on how to split into say 4 or 5 threads for different aspects of build: eg planning and design, build, good links...or....

Helen

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a starting point I'd like to link to really useful threads (there are a few really good ones running at the moment).

So please can I have nominations for inclusion?

Helen

Great idea Helen.

I'd like to nominate a few threads that I recall from last year but, unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find them (I'm reliably informed threads don't get deleted, so maybe I can't see for looking).

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the guy who posted (which doesn't really help I know!), but some of you may recall it, as it was a long running thread and was an excellent observatory.

The build I'm thinking of was a large ROR design, with dark blue interior (there's loads of ROR build out there, I know, but the blue interior was quite striking). The same chap also posted threads on making his own 12" scope tube and mirror cell out of carbon fibre.

If anyone remembers these builds, and can find them, please could you post a link?

Cheers

Kevin

The build I'm thinking of was a large ROR design, with dark blue interior (there's loads of ROR build out there, I know, but the blue interior was quite striking). The same chap also posted threads on making his own 12" scope tube and mirror cell out of carbon fibre.

If anyone remembers these builds, and can find them, please could you post a link?

Sanity is restored (in part, at least). The thread for the OTA tube construction in carbon fibre has mysteriously returned. I know this is not an obs build, but is very inspirational.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/91068-carbon-fibre-telescope-finished.html

The obs build I'd like to nominate is by the same chap, paul11.

All we need to do is find the thread - mods?

Kevin

Sy,

I hadn't noticed your reference to this obs in your "post 3", but that's the one!

Excellent build as I recall.

Interesting thought about Paul deleting his own post. I wasn't aware this could be done, and the admins tell me threads are not deleted in any tidying-up type exercise. Bit of a mystery therefore.

Whatever the reason - a pity, as this was one of the best.

Kev

when i finished mine,i did think of starting a thread simply with picture of completed build and total cost and a offer of info on request :p

if everybody did this it would give new builders an idea of different designs and budgets

just a thought,it might make a sticky as well :D

I certainly plan having one sticky which contains links to members' builds, and if people were prepared to do a new thread for their build which includes pictures and details that would be perfect!

Helen

I think when I've finished mine I'll create a new thread with the finished design details and photos. That way people won't have to plough through the already long thread I'm running at present, though I'll probably add a link to it if anyone is interested in all the deliberations that went into it.

I'm going to put together a few stickies for the top of the Observatory section which can be a starting point for people thinking of building and observatory. These will be reference only (no chat).

That sounds like a cracking idea, there are some really good discussions going at the moment with obsy design etc.

As for sections, I think the following should be included, in no particular order:

1. Basic Planning - orientation, choosing the best place in your garden (testing out with your kit before building), Planning regulations, ROR, split roof, nesting roof, dome;

2. Ergonomics - wall heights, roof heights, angle of views, limitations (particularly with reference to planning restrictions);

3. Build materials - brick and blockwork, concrete (preparation, pouring, reinforcement and curing), timber frame, hybrid, adaptation of off the shelf sheds;

4. Warm room or no warm room - linking back to house, networks and storage;

5. Pier design - concrete vs steel, height, thickness, pier adapters, pier base;

All of the above is what I have considered in developing my design. It may be a little over the top for what your intending but hopefully there is some useful 'meat on the bones' maybe for future expansion.

I certainly plan having one sticky which contains links to members' builds, and if people were prepared to do a new thread for their build which includes pictures and details that would be perfect!

Helen

i have started a new thread with just a couple of side by side photo's and brief details of time and costs.(i was not sure how much to include)

also included a link to original thread and an offer of advice if required,any suggestions to improve thread would be gratefully received.i am sure will be very usefull for anybody thinking about a obsy build.

Good post but, as Helen is intending, these need to be linked from a sticky, otherwise it won't be long before it becomes hidden way down on page 3!

i thought that was probably the case,no worries i can soon paste it on to the appropriate thread when it becomes available :)

Helen,

I thought the stick was going to be links to suppliers or resources for timber, pipe, or recommendations for equipment hire etc, rather than for completed build threads

However, if it's completed builds then:

Please include Wayne's excellent build http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/103639-wetherview-diy-obsy-build-begins.html

And TJ's

Both have been suggested above

Archived