Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Determined to get some viewing tonight

I have been away for a week and havent been out observing for a few weeks so tonight i am determined to get some views of saturn....

so i have setup the whole family for some viewing, i like to comepare the views in different scopes

:)

post-19390-133877607731_thumb.jpg

post-19390-13387760774_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its a nice refractor but the finder and focuser let the scope down,

Tell me about it! I got my son a 70AZ for Xmas. The guys in the design room must have had an off day when doing the drawings for that finder. What a game trying to find anything. I thought the focuser's were fair given the cost of the scopes new but the dodgy prism diagonal is another bad day at the office. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is the AZ mount :p Other than this the scope is my son's pride and joy even though all this cloud means he has to look at it as apposed to through it :p

Great collection you have BTW :)

Oh thanks , i've had two Lx90's 8" & 10". , now on an LX 200 ACF 12". Absolutely love the LX range, having said that I've not had other scopes side by side to compare performance. Prior to the goto scopes I was on 6 & 8" Newts. How do you rate yours ?

yeah its a astromaster 90 so comes with the starter kit, its a nice refractor but the finder and focuser let the scope down, so these have been replaced and i am very happy with it :)

It's a great ota, had mine for 18 months now and we have had some wonderful views with it. First job was ripping off the focuser/finder, second was ripping off the dovetail and adding rings.

Bought a C100EDR to replace it last year but decided the C100ED didn't trump the AM90 by enough to warrant the extra cost. So the 90 stayed and the C100 went. :p

post-12650-133877607859_thumb.jpg

Snip............but decided the C100ED didn't trump the AM90 by enough to warrant the extra cost. So the 90 stayed and the C100 went. :p

:) thats suprising.

Never looked through any fancy glass before but always thought they were a decent step up from the entry level (non fancy glass) scopes.

Paul

Where are you guys getting the focuser's from and will they fit the 70mm ? Is the finder shoe on the focuser ? can't quite make out the pic.

There was a decent one in the Astroboot that would fit the 70. It looked the same as the one with have and with the Synta finder dovetail. Not sure if its still there.

:) thats suprising.

Never looked through any fancy glass before but always thought they were a decent step up from the entry level (non fancy glass) scopes.

Paul

The C100EDR was better but not hugely. My 90 shows no CA on Saturn or Jupiter. And only minimal CA on the Moon. I could warrant the extra cost of the C100EDR.

Archived