NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How good is this Coronado PST?

I'm glad I saw this thread otherwise I wouldn't of seen that great website by Jan Timmerman. There is a load of info on that site, definitely straight to the favourites list.

I was holding out on a PST but I will take the plunge, I thought about buying secondhand but decided against it in the end. Instead I have my name down and am waiting for the stock to come in, so hopefully soon I will have one. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without being churlish, subjectively I felt I got "better value" (resolution) from e.g. Lunar observation in a small scope. Perhaps it's related to daytime seeing? Perhaps it's the general "complexity" thing - Etalons, ERF, pentaprisms etc. Maybe a greater aperture solves these (possible) issues, but...

Mostly with John (JahManson) re. [genuine] value of experience, versus cost of equipment? <G> But I too(?) would like to work on (the neglected?) White Light, aspects - Maybe w/modest imaging. :)

I shall be sticking with white solar imaging for now. I find the sun spots quite interesting. It would be nice to see the prominences etc. but it seems you need to spend vast sums of money to get a good image. From what I read it seems those really magnificent red curly bits on the surface etc. are only visible with a very narrow band Ha or CaK filter - much better than you can get with a PST. £500 is a lot of money to me let alone several times that.

Gina et al,

The solar scope is no more complex than a DSO imaging set-up which has all the different filters etc etc

You can see the curly bits etc with the Coronado/ Lunt instruments. You just have to get good seeing (before noon) and practise.

I have also been considering a PST but I don't think S/H is the way to go with these and new is just not going to happen on my budget. I came across a S/H one recently and made sure I did some research prior to committing myself. Amongst the well known rust issues and the gamble of getting a good one there was also talk of the coatings having a life span of only 5-7 years anyway. There are 3 hues to the lens to look out for Gold, Violet and Blue. Blue is supposed to have the rust problem resolved but the Violet one can easily bee mistaken for Blue and that also suffers with rust. Even if you was to get a Blue lens if the talk of 5-7 sell by date is true you better make sure you have confirmation from the seller it's age. There is also a lot of talk on the net that a degree of talent is required to get any sort of respectable image out of a bog standard PST. Although when you do get the knack they are a superb beginner solar scope and with persistence they are going to give way better images than with white light filters. Needless to say I got cold feet after my research and decided to stick with my £18 Baader film.

Yeah after lots of thinking and reading, I don't think (for once) that second hand is the way to go. I does seem to me to show enough of what I want for the money, and I do have a webcam that I would love to put to good use with it.

Also the fact that is a deadicated solar scope that can not damage my eyes in any way is kind of reassuring. I dont think I trust myself, or my parents would even dare to look through a solar filter. What if it perminantly ruined my eyes forever?!?!

First of all - if the proper solar filter is used ie Baader Solar Film and it is properly and securely mounted onto the front of your scope - it will be 100% safe to use. You can tell mum and dad that - they can phone me anytime for reassurance.

Re the PST's - I've handled, tested and modified dozens of them over the last few years - yes, I've found some with problems - I've also found some really good keepers!

May be I've just been lucky, but ALL, without exception, of the "rusty" PST objectives I've had the misfortune to see were "gold" objectives which failed...I can assure any purchaser/ user with a current "blue" objective - it will not rust.

However- the internal "mini-ERF" filter and the blocking filter are still prone to failure. The Coronado warranty of five years should cover them BUT unfortunately to find the problem you have to dismantle the PST black box which voids the warranty - definately a catch 22.

The internal filters can "rust" up, suffer from fungus growth etc etc - I've seen it all!

IMHO yes, the life of these filters is probably around 5 years or so....such is life.

The Lunts haven't been on the market long enough for their shortcomings to be obvious, but I bet you a pound to a penny they will have the same problems with the blocking filters....

ALL, without exception, of the "rusty" PST objectives I've had the misfortune to see were "gold" objectives which failed...I can assure any purchaser/ user with a current "blue" objective - it will not rust.

That is why we stopped stocking them :)

We are assured this latest model is considerably improved, so they are back in stock.

Another thing worth noting is they are not 'shock-proof'. If you treat a PST the same way you treat a binocular you should be okay but if it recieves a sharp knock then performance will suffer. When buying secondhand check the lens coatings and test it before buying. When they are good they are very good but they do need looking after.

HTH,

Steve

What the hell! That is complete madness. You have to dismantle the scope to see if it has the rust problem to claim on the warranty that is now void!

Does anyone have anything to add on this Maxscope 40 that just turned up?

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

A lot of money for secondhand.... I would think twice about buying cold and sending your hard earned cash into the big blue yonder. :D

If you buy on SGL at least you get to see who's who, who's genuine and who is not. :p

Archived