SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where to stargaze in public?

I think I need to move beyond my backgarden now, due to obstruction of view from hedges, trees and buildings, and light pollution.

How do you go about finding a suitable observation location in public where you won't get hassled by teenagers, farmers, estate owners, police, cows etc?

I'm in a suburb, and not too far from country, but I can't think of anywhere I could safely just turn up and not expect to be hassled, especially with suitable elevation above tree line.

Boz

I think I need to move beyond my backgarden now, due to obstruction of view from hedges, trees and buildings, and light pollution.

How do you go about finding a suitable observation location in public where you won't get hassled by teenagers, farmers, estate owners, police, cows etc?

I'm in a suburb, and not too far from country, but I can't think of anywhere I could safely just turn up and not expect to be hassled, especially with suitable elevation above tree line.

Boz

Try your local Astro Society. There may be somebody even in this forum who lives near you that you could buddy up with, perhaps he has a nice dark garden! :eek:

I first met my pal Michael in this very forum, neither of us had mates who were remotely interested in Astronomy so it was good to meet someone with the same interest.

Which part of the country do you live in? An SGL member might be just around the corner! ;)

Good luck!

Clear skies!

Mark

Find a country spot with a good southerly view where you feel safe in daytime. As long as it's not a lay-by or other focal point, it's probably going to be safe at night.

Avoid hill-tops (too windy), use minor roads (you want somewhere with little passing traffic) and try public bridleways which can offer inconspicuous off-road parking. Use OS maps and Google Earth.

I've been driving to dark country sites for years and have never had any hassle or bother from anything, human or otherwise. What I've had is lots of safe, solitary and unforgettable viewing.

I have mentioned this before and it could be worth a try, have a word with your local NFU Branch Secretary, you may find he has one or more friendly Farmers on his books that would let you use one of his fields or paddocks, especially if he or a family member is interested in Astronomy :eek:

A few months back on a trip to NY state to visit my sister.I found several "scenic overlooks" right on a major interstate highway which were well sheilded from traffic by a dense treeline.No one seems to stops at these during the night.The only interuption was the state trooper who stopped to see what we were doing.He also enjoyed the great veiw of the sky through the scope.After he ran my paperwork and ID of course.A half hour after he left another trooper showed up and said the first trooper called him and told him to check it out,then he asked how long we would be there as there was a shift change coming up.In all 5 troopers showed up thruogh the night.What a great way to make friends in the RIGHT places.

Im glad someone asked this, I was wondering the same thing.

Im lucky in that I live in an area without street lighting or much traffic but ive always wondered where I could go other than my garden with its fences and obstructing trees.

Some good ideas there though. Im from the Maidstone area in Kent if anyone knows of any local groups?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for sites around the MK area. I'm also keen on meeting other keen astronomers to exchange knowledge (although mines is very limited at the moment) and for company etc.

Cheers

Ed

A few months back on a trip to NY state to visit my sister.I found several "scenic overlooks" right on a major interstate highway which were well sheilded from traffic by a dense treeline.No one seems to stops at these during the night.The only interuption was the state trooper who stopped to see what we were doing.He also enjoyed the great veiw of the sky through the scope.After he ran my paperwork and ID of course.A half hour after he left another trooper showed up and said the first trooper called him and told him to check it out,then he asked how long we would be there as there was a shift change coming up.In all 5 troopers showed up thruogh the night.What a great way to make friends in the RIGHT places.

Excellent :eek:

Andy.

Google maps is your friend!!

I used google maps to look for the site I visit. Started off with the satellite view first then zoomed down to street view to get the 360 panaramic perspective. Then checked them out personaly in the day...

Saves on the fuel too..

If all the above fails - try model aircraft clubs, and cricket grounds. They're usually level, deserted at night, and with clear perimiters, often behind locked gates. You may have to pay a small fee to a club or landowner - but with a couple of chums sharing it could be very useful. :eek:

Boz I have to take issue with your frustration at being hassled by,"farmers, estate owners, police, cows etc".

Like you, I need to go into the countryside to obtain dark skies. However, I am very respectful of one simple fact and that is I don't own the land. Most of the countryside represents in one way or other people's livelihoods and in order to respect their property I always obtain permission from them first before using it. I have arranged a number of suitable dark sites by careful planning, by researching who the landowner is and then arranging to meet them. Without exception, I have found farmers and landowners to be very helpful and understanding and very often capable of making better suggestions for alternative sites. My approach is simple and direct, I don't write long begging letters or include stamped addressed envelopes (farmers too busy for all of that nonsense) I make contact at their home at a reasonable time, explain who I am and how they might possibly help me. The next important thing once a site is secured is for me to arrange some kind of protocol to let them know when I'll be observing, how many guests, when I'll be finished and most importantly of all, an invitation for them to come and have a look through the scope. Come Christmas, I will always offer a gift to show my appreciation and to cement permission for the next season. Should the police enquire what I'm doing (it is their job after all) I know I have sufficient 'proof' of my arrangement. A farmer would never let you observe in a field of cows and if you select your location carefully (where your car can be kept out of view) you won't be hassled by the "other" observers who persist in viewing non celestial bodies and who are fully paid up members of the Kennel Club. Believe you me, telling twenty seven such drivers in one night to, how shall I say, "look elsewhere" is enough to try anyone's patience but there is nothing you can do about that problem except anticipate it.

Again I am a guest who has permission to be on someone's property and do my best to respect it. I would advise anyone to please go about this properly in order to avoid giving us astronomers a bad name.

Clear skies

James

Boz I have to take issue with your frustration at being hassled by,"farmers, estate owners, police, cows etc".

Perhaps you took that too literally. I just meant I want to know where i can go without worry. Sure I don't mind paying, explaining etc, but as a beginner I just need to know the right approach to get started for free and with little hassle.

Anyway, thanks to all, I didn't think I'd get such a large response (haven't read them all yet). I'll look into Basingstoke and Welly boot park.

I will contact my local club, and try some of the local parks, but I think car parking is my biggest concern, as well as vandalism or theft of car.

DaBoz,

I'm in a similar neck of the woods, I've been and I've looking at some places on google maps to check out. Hopefully which will offer a wider field of view than my back garden, which is mostly restricted to south west facing viewing.

I've been looking at some of the parks (with parking) run by the council around the east side of Reading. I noticed that my local Astro society had a meet at somewhere called Dinton Pastures, which seems to be a public park [edit] I've not yet checked this out myself, so I've no idea yet on local light pollution[/edit].

Also I want to check out some of the spots on the ridgeway to the north of Reading, they look promising on the UK light pollution maps I've come across, however I've not worked out where you can park yet.

Tyr

If all the above fails - try model aircraft clubs, and cricket grounds. They're usually level, deserted at night, and with clear perimiters, often behind locked gates. You may have to pay a small fee to a club or landowner - but with a couple of chums sharing it could be very useful. :eek:

dont forget bowling greens, there are still a few of them about and they are super flat

Hi DaBoz / Tyr

For the past week, I’ve been investigating dark sky areas around Reading. On the local AS website they mention they hold viewing at a dark sky site, I think – but make no mention of where. I’m going to pop over to their meeting on Saturday and investigate it all a bit further.

From the light pollution / clear sky map overlays I’ve located on the t’internet there seems to be a lot of viable areas to the west, (south of the M4). Well I say viable, I mean they have no light pollution and on average a lot of clear skies during a year J. No idea yet on actual safe/secure/legal observing sites – plan to recce further.

Map I’ve been using is here.

Archived