NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is Kenley Any Good?

well the light pollution maps i have put you in the white/purple zone...the two top worst zones :eek:

i would advise you to head south to get darker skies, south of westerham in kent or south of effingham in surrey would be a lot darker for you ;)

Yep, Kenley is light polluted to the east and north from London, but you can still see quite a lot from there. IIRC Croydon Astro have a very nice Meade LX200 14" with plenty in the GOTO to keep you occupied.

The only downside is that Croydon Astro is very (and I mean VERY!) cliquey. I stopped going there because if you're not in the 'inner circle' you tend to get ignored - even when volunterring to help out!

Is Guildford reachable?

They seem to have a fair sized club and have viewing nights.

People from SGL have been there and the reports seem favourable.

Look up fedastro.org.uk or a search for guildford astronomy should turn them up.

I can vouch for guildford, a very good active club.

They observe regularly at Newlands Corner and have an observatory at Albury Heath. Both are reasonably dark given how close to London

Cheers

Hi

Your more than welcome to come to our ""Surrey Observers" meetings on Ranmore common Nr Dorking. It's a bit nearer than Guildford.

Find when we're going via the community link/social groups at the top of the page.

Regards Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi

Im a member of Croydon Astro and we have the Obs at Kenley, we dont have much planned for the summer but do normally have a pretty active group see: Croydon Astronomical Society - Home Page

We obviously have LP issues in particular the North, however we manage - see some of my posts my images are not to bad.

Not sure we are cliquey ?, we are small thats all.

Hope to see you sometime. PM me if you wish

Regards

John B

Archived