Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mount and motor

Hello all yet another stupid noob question. I have been having trouble setting up my eq mount and getting the motor that came with it to actually track any objects i get in the FOV. I think i am setting the mount up wrong (or not at all in some cases) can anyone help me please. ;)

Which mount do you have mark993? I had a problem with my eq2 that I had the motor wrong so it wasn't tracking that well and when it did it was backwards. And eventually damaged the gears I had to change them:(

To polar align first get the tripod pointing north, and level using the in built bubble (or spirit level if no bubble present). Use a regular compass to point north. Sometimes there's a leg with the letter "N" on it - if not use the side where the mount locating pin is sticking up from the tripod head.

Install the mount and set the lattitude for your location by adjusting the lattitude bolts. Now you are very roughly polar aligned - good enough for observing.

Install the Main tube and finder. These need to be aligned one with the other - use a distant pylon tip or church spire, during the daylight, 1-2 miles away. So long as the object appears central in both finder and say 20mm eyepiece, it's usualy enough.

To refine the alignment after dark - adjust the lattitude bolts and azimuth bolts until the pole star is central in both finder and eyepiece. You may need to adjust the finder to do this more accurately.

Once this is all done - the tripod, lattitude, and azimuth must all remain fixed. To find objects loosen the RA and Dec clutches to move the scope around. Tighten them once you are on the object and you can then use the slow motion controls to track. You should find you only need to track in RA with occasional tweaks in Dec - if you have an RA motor - engage it - then you'll only need to tweak the Dec now and again :eek:

You can't assume that there is a leg with N on it. My HEQ5 tripod has legs that point South // NorthWest // North East.

Please see picture attached showing the part of the mount that needs to point towards the pole star! There isn't a polar scope on the EQ2, so you need to line it up by eye - accuracy isn't vital - close by eye will be good enough.

Cheers

Ant

The mount doesn't come apart in the same way as the larger EQ mounts - I cannot remember what AZ adjustments there are, my nephew has my EQ2, so I cannot even check!

Ant

Archived