Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afgan Skies!

mark993

Hello all not been on for a while. Just back from afgan and even tho i am sure it wont be a popular holiday destination for quite a few years yet the skys out there are amazing very little light pollution at all and it was the first time i was able to see the Milky Way clearly. Absolutly amazing and just renewed my interest in the sky. :D:(:p

Welcome back Mark. Its not the best place in the world to be at the moment. Steve from FLO once very kindly offered to give me a small telescope to take out there. I didn't in the end...to be honest, I didn't really get the chance to look up too much!

All the best wishes for some clear, safe skies.

Andrew

Welcome back :D

My late father was in Libya in the late 60s and told me the night skies in the desert are stunning...and sudden :p

Not sure about Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya as a holiday destination though :(

Thanks for all the well wishes i would love to relax and look up more but i got home early because my wife had our first baby so not getting too much time to look up. Although i hope to get her interested before too long lol.

Well done on getting home safe and sound.

Iraq was the same, milky way is a stunner, but like you found it hard to pick some stars out, still helps pass the time away when on STAG.

roger that mate i have to admit it the only time i have actually wanted to stag on and at least it wasn't wet and cold lol

Back in '98 and '99 i spent a total of 6 months in the Jordanian desert over 150 miles from the closest town/city ;) Now that was amazing!

Jay

I was out there just before chirstmas and i think it was one of the reason i went out and bought my first telescope it was amazing. I think i will have to get a small one to take with me in the future it is a shame to be places like that and miss out.

Archived