Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HOW MUCH for a 8" reflector!!

spaceboy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's an SPX OTA with (say) 1/8th PV wave or better optics, on a GOTO Vixen Polaris GP mount (which it looks like it is) with 3 really decent eyepieces it could just be worth that.

The seller has just not provided enough information or photographs to justify the starting price though so, unless prospective bidders are prepared to ask lots of questions, there may not be any bids.

Around 10 years ago a setup like this could well have cost £2K but I think £3K is stretching it a bit :D

We have got used to very low prices over the last few years due to the influx of chinese made equipment. Things were not always like that ......

And today's Mystery Buy is..........:D

You would think though that the seller would give some detailed info and proper photos. Yes it could just about cost £3,000.00 new today if everything was OO's top spec and depending on the eyepieces etc.

However it looks like one of OO's older scopes and the buyer may have made the mistake of looking at OO's latest scopes which have been upgraded from what was available 10 or 15 years ago.

John

On the flip side the buyers are just as crazy - only yesterday I sold a Canon 1.4x Tele Extender on ebay - I managed to get £215 for it - the crazy thing is, listed below it were several other with `buy it now` prices of £185, £179 etc.. But it seems two buyers got into a bidding war and it went mental in the last 30 secs or so.

Still, I`m not complaining as it paid the lions share of the SW 200PDS I ordered this morning! Ebay does my head in sometimes!

Surly he would have listed it as Orion optics if this was the case? After all if he paid £3000 he would no doubt be serious astronomer and would understand the confusion of just listing as ORION.

I think you have summed up why there are sometimes real bargains to be had on e.bay (not this scope though perhaps). Experienced astro equipment nuts know their stuff and can spot the "real thing" even though the sellers don't even know themselves what they have.

If I spot something interesting I do try and post a "heads up" here if I get a chance :D

it scares me with things like this on evilbay, in my other hobby of c a r p fishing i see tackle on sale buy it now for more money than you would pay in local tackle shop

Astronomical Telescope | eBay UK

I mean, seriously. Way to get a massive bid of 99p for this! Awesome sales pitch. Dude......seriously.

:icon_scratch:Andy.

In my previous post I was just joking about the Mystery Buy scope but now you've gone and found the genuine item. :D

Although if it was just a short drive away I'd probably go and take a look at it on the off chance.

John

I wager my ED120 would wipe the floor with it....

Tony..

An old Astro-Physics scope, and not up to today's top APOs but if you could buy it cheap enough I suppose. :D

Found a review.

"I can't quite give this scope a 10 because compared to the best Apos made today by Astro-Phyisics, TMB and Televue, it does lag just a smidge. Still it gives a very nice star test, is great on the planets and gives good deepsky images. At high powers on bright objects there is a smidge of color but you have too look for it and at least in my opinion it compares favorably to any of the ED or Flourite Doublets out there. It is a fairly big scope, bigger (if not heavier) than the current AP-130 F/6 scope. Still if you find a decent price on one in the used market and want an Apo, you will not be disappointed."

John

An old Astro-Physics scope, and not up to today's top APOs but if you could buy it cheap enough I suppose. :(

Found a review.

"I can't quite give this scope a 10 because compared to the best Apos made today by Astro-Phyisics, TMB and Televue, it does lag just a smidge. Still it gives a very nice star test, is great on the planets and gives good deepsky images. At high powers on bright objects there is a smidge of color but you have too look for it and at least in my opinion it compares favorably to any of the ED or Flourite Doublets out there. It is a fairly big scope, bigger (if not heavier) than the current AP-130 F/6 scope. Still if you find a decent price on one in the used market and want an Apo, you will not be disappointed."

John

Well that's shot my dream scope down in flames then :D

I guess I'll have to make it a TAK 128 now ..... :p

Mind you, I reckon my Intes MN61 does a pretty good impression of all of these :o

My reply:

I'm afraid i do not know the focal length is or what model it is, I brought it from a freind of mine a few years ago and he did'nt give me any infomation on it and i'm not the best person with telescopes.

The eyepeices are one at 2.5mm and one at 5mm and the other is a 2.5mm but a diferent make, if you send me your e-mail I can send you some pics if you wish.

If you want to come and have a look at it [if your local] please let me know and we can arrange something. Sorry I could'nt be of any more help, I can show you around the night sky but when it comes to telescopes I'm not sure.

Thanks Martyn

He was kind enough to send some pics. The EP's are LV 2.5 & 5mm and a Keller 2.5. The guy didn't respond when I questioned where he got the £3000 price new from so he's leaving it a mystery to if it has upgraded optics or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived