Using Stellarium to control a mount

I would just like to add to this Simon that I am using Stellarium but do not use Stellarium scope - Couldn't get it to work!

I just have the handset connected to the PC with a USB / R232 adaptor and it picks up the mount no problem. Then the mount just needs to be configured in Stellarium and the right post selected.

Hope that helps if you struggle with Stellarium scope as I did.

I just set my mount up with Stellarium, as soon as the port was initialised by the laptop I set the port and mount type in the plugin (Nexstar chosen for my HEQ5) and it all worked.

I made a note of the device number as it was set to 1, I thought the default was 0 but perhaps that's changed.

Pity it's too cloudy to try it in anger.

Does the RS232 plug go into the centre socket on the handset?

Thanks

Simon

I only did this myself a few days ago....yes, into the centre socket.

Also, if it's not registering at first, try different comm ports in the drop down box, mine turned out to be comm port 4, which I didn't realise at first.

Can anyone supply me with a link to the USB connector I will need. I've tried searching eBay but cannot seem to get the right end connector to go into the handset, assuming the USB port goes into the computer.

Thanks

Simon

(From memory!) Synscan controllers come with a grey serial cable, ending in a DB9 female connector. Modern computers with USB connectors (typically) need a USB to Serial adapter to connect to this. I recall I bought mine from Amazon, but maybe:

USB2.0 to Serial Adaptor | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I used an intermediate, appropriately gendered, long serial cable, as an extension lead. :D

Oh ... OK. I think I've got it now. I use the supplied lead to connect to the handset and the female RS232 connected to the adapter into the computer. I've managed to find the appropriate male to USB connecter in that box labelled "don't throw it away it may be useful. Right now to try it.

Thanks Macavity + everyone who helped.

I may be back .....:D

Simon

Does no one make a handset to USB cable? Why is a serial port still being used when most PC's these days don't even have serial ports? I'd like a connection without the adaptor.

Serial ports are legacy items on pc's. The connection is a bit bulky so in the quest for minimising everything (laptops/netbooks/peripherals etc) USB is now chosen because it's faster and smaller.

Scope control doesn't demand speed - so the slower serial ports commonly used on legacy pc's are more than adequate. Send the scope some co-ords and the mount does the rest. Images however contain a lot more data and to get use'able trasmission rates parallel ports were used.

When USB came about - everything started moving over to the higher data rates - but the move has been very gradual due to all the legacy equipment worldwide sporting the older connection standards. Enter the adaptor!!

To totally redesign scope control or cameras around a new single speed standard is a huge and expensive task - thousands of man hours of work. Why go to that expense when you can just produce an adaptor for a few quid that you can get from Maplins? The most cost effective business solution is obvious - not only that but you can make money selling the adaptors for established protocols to convert to the new speed.

Only new equipment designs incorporate USB1/2 as default. Stand by for USB3 - out soon, faster still, and no doubt additional adaptors for legacy gear to go with. lol :D

A lot of (present) USB-serial interfaces seem to rely on the "Proliant" chip? Once their driver is installed (On Win XP, anyway!) it seems possible to cascade any number of USB ports, hubs etc., in a pleasantly transparent manner? :D

Crickey 6Gbs - I'm sure I could use some of that - but somehow I tire of all this rapid progress. Mobile phones for instance do my head in - bring back the brick I say - nice and simple and you can see the darned thing lol :D

2 days ago I set up Stellarium to use Stellarium Scope and EQMOD and must admit it is a great programme. I use the laptop (Windows Vista) USB connected to an RS232 adaptor and then to the centre connection on the Synscan Handset. You need ASCOM drivers installed. All the software is free.

Neil

Archived