Hello from Exeter!

Bassman Rob

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob,

Welcome :D I'm new too here.

I enjoy photography in my 'other' life so it seemed to me obvious to want to combine the two hobbies and get a telescope that can do both. I looked into the kind of kit I'd need to be able to do imaging and I've come to the conclusion that I want to enjoy seeing before I go down the astrophotography route.

I've decided to go for the 8" Dobsonian (skywatcher skyliner) since this is a reasonable size scope for seeing plus it can be upgraded to an eq motorised mount at a later date for astrophotography. With the dob base its quicker/easier to set up and so I reckon I'll get more use out of it.

I seems to take a lot of time and effort to get good astrophotos- from what I can gather it really has to be a passion. I'm passionate about my photography but part of it is that I like what I produce without too much 'hard work'- and it wouldn't be like that creating images from the sky.

I'm time-short and have lots of commitments, so for me its worth having the dob first, and then seeing where it takes me. I can't wait to get going, and I hope eventually to get to the point where I can create a great image to be proud of, but for me, that would be trying to run before I can walk.

I'm a complete newbie and haven't got much spare time so this is how I have come to my decision, I appreciate everyone hasn't got the same ideas but just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Hope this helps :p

Best wishes,

Vicky

Hello and welcome to sgl. Stellarium is brilliant and in my opinion a must have bit of software. After 1 month and 50 posts on sgl you get access to the "for sale" section which always has good second hand gear, it might be worth the wait unless you want something staight away.

• 2 weeks later...

wow - a lot more exeter folks on here than i realised!

rob - another vote for the norman lockyer observer's society in sidmouth. i go on fridays every now and then, and you're more than welcome to have a go with my dobsonian. not a scope you can image with, but a nice thing to look through. you can also have a nosy at other people's imaging setups, and get a sense of what it involves (money and knowledge, basically, and a folded down back car seats to transport it all in).

cheers,

stephen.

Hello Rob, welcome to SGL.

I grew up near Exeter. School in Kingsteignton and A-levels in Newton Abbot.

There are loads of Exeter folks on SGL. We should think about a meet sometime?

Archived