Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever rig (astrophotography)

AndyDix

Hi everyone.

How does the following sound for a first set up?

I want to get into Astrophotography eventually so need to make sure the kit is future proof.

I am on First Light Optics site as we speak and just need to make sure I have this right.

1. Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

2. HEQ5 Syntrek.

£1072.00

I already have a Canon 1000D.

Will I need anything else to get me up and running? I have tried calling the store but I think they are all busy.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For futureproofing you might prefer an NEQ6 which will carry more weight and/or bulk but they are no more accurate than the fives.

Other things to consider; flattener-reducer to speed up capture and give good stars to the edge.

Autoguider. TBH you need this. Why spend a grand and then spoil it for a small further investment? ST80 guidescope and whatever autoguider you like. I would always go for PC based versions, not standalone.

Bahtinov mask for accurate focus.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

For futureproofing you might prefer an NEQ6 which will carry more weight and/or bulk but they are no more accurate than the fives.

Other things to consider; flattener-reducer to speed up capture and give good stars to the edge.

Autoguider. TBH you need this. Why spend a grand and then spoil it for a small further investment? ST80 guidescope and whatever autoguider you like. I would always go for PC based versions, not standalone.

Bahtinov mask for accurate focus.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Thanks for the reply..

I can afford the 1k but will be pushed for anymore for a few weeks.

Was thinking maybe I could use the set up for a little bit of visual stuff and then add autoguiding options in a month or so. I think I will use eqmod for initial goto then add autoguide as soon as I can afford it.

Does that sound ok or have I missed something important.

Regards

Andy

Or you could always guide through the finder scope for now.

Costs an adapter for £29 and a webcam £10?

I also think that the ST80's now only come with a tripod adapter and not a dovetail so extra expense needed there.

BTW it's the exact same setup that I have just bought so I'm biased ;)

I will be taking Olly's wise advice in the near future and purchasing a reducer/flattener, just not this month :)

Or you could always guide through the finder scope for now.

Costs an adapter for £29 and a webcam £10?

I also think that the ST80's now only come with a tripod adapter and not a dovetail so extra expense needed there.

BTW it's the exact same setup that I have just bought so I'm biased ;)

I will be taking Olly's wise advice in the near future and purchasing a reducer/flattener, just not this month :)

Cheers Spikey

Have you had it all delivered yet? What is it like for visual work ??

I have been on here for weeks now trying to get my head around it all.

And finally does anyone have any advice for sneeking what I think could be huge parcels past the missis without here seing them :eek:

Andy

No it's not been delivered yet. They are probably down the road waiting for me to pop out !

First thing I do is remove the invoice of the side of the parcel - that can then be filed in my 'special' pile !

I have found that bare faced lying about the actual cost of the kit has helped, although it could be a double edged sword. My, thats a lot of large boxes for £200 isn't it.....

As I posted in another thread, I decided to invest in an NEQ6 Pro SynScan to carry what I envisage using in future. This has been as a result of posts by the expert imagers on here and Steve Richards' book "Making Every Photon Count". I think imaging is difficult enough without being hampered by an inadequate mount.

I don't think the HEQ5 is in anyway inadequate for the SWED80.

Something much larger in weight for imaging then yes it's too small and an NEQ6 would be a much better alternative. However with the EQ7 just around the corner I'll wager a few 6's coming onto the second hand market in the near future ;)

Think of the HEQ5 as entry level for serious DSO imaging.

If the scope fits...........:)

Hi andy,

I don't think you are a million miles away from a good setup.

Rather than tell you what you should have, I'll tell you what I have and why. If any of it rings bells, then you know what to do :)

Like you I fairly recently went through exactly the same ordeal.

I finally settled on and bought the following:

1. Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS-Pro Kit

2. Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro Synscan

3. Various bit to hook camera up (more below)

Already had a Canon 7D DSLR.

I went with the 80ED rather than the 100ED as I originally planned as the advice was that it was a better imaging scope (faster, more useful field of view, more forgiving of tracking errors etc.). Not a difficult decision but took the good advice on this forum.

Now the mount was a tough one. I (like anybody) would want to spend their money on optics rather than hardware. However, without a solid foundation, your optics are worthless.

I originally planned on the HEQ5 SynTrek. Main reasons being, I wasn't that bothered about a Goto system and the mount is more than man enough for the 80ED telescope.

Visual use was my main aim but longer term to move into imaging. This then muddies the waters. For visual use the 80ED and HEQ5 SynTrek = great system. But what if you do imaging? Do you really want to put in an eyepiece to line up your target, then swap it out and add your camera (and adaptors) and then try to line it all up again? That was what I was asked and the answer was "No", so Goto was added to the list, hence switching from the HEQ5 SynTrek to a HEQ5 Pro Synscan.

Then I was asked "Will you always use the 80ED for imaging or will you upgrade to a much larger telescope, e.g. the Skywatcher 190NM?". The answer was yes for me, in fact, that kind of telescope is certainly the type of telescope I can see myself upgrading to in the future. If so, then you need to consider a NEQ6 of some sort to handle the weight. Even if you stick with the 80ED, what if you add a guide scope, guide camera, filter wheel, CDD camera etc. The weight can easily double using the 80ED.

As I had already decided that I wanted Goto and that I might want to use much bigger/heavier telescopes in the future, the NEQ6 Pro Synscan was the only option that fitted.

OK, it's a lot of money now, but I'm pretty much future proofed. I can change the telescope when I want in the future without having to upgrade the mount.

Good luck with your decision ;)

As for connecting your camera to the 80ED, you have a couple of options:

1. Use the Skywatcher focal reducer and adaptor (here and here). This will make the 80ED an f6.37 scope with a much flatter field for the imaging chip in your camera. Total cost around £180.

2. Do pure prime focus imaging with the following bits (here, here and here). Total cost about £55. There are other combinations of adaptors you can use but you basically want to be able to connect the Canon DSLR to a 2" focus tube.

I've used the 2nd option but have the bits for the 1st option on their way.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Andy,

Before springing any cash for astro-photography related stuff haved a read of Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

You'll find it helpful in getting you started. Easy to read, it's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, tips 'n' tricks and lots of other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too, They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

HTH :)

I have had "Making every photon count" for a few weeks now and you are right its a fantanstic book.

Iwatkins, thank you soo much for the advice.

Eq7 ? When is this happening? think it will force down the prices of the 5`s and 6`s in the range ?

Regards

Andy

I use a HEQ5 with an Equinox 120, guidescope, filter, ccd, guidecam, etc and there is no problem at all - I throw out perhaps 1 in 20 subs caused by movement (I throw out far more because of satellite trails or aircraft).

The total weight of my setup is somewhere between 30 and 35Kg. I do not dismantle it and I have to lift it across the garden fgrom the garage when setting up. If I had an NEQ6 it would be 40-45Kg. Now I suspect that I could manage that, but many would not want to try.

If I had an observatory with a static setup, I would probably get an NEQ6. For anyone who has to setup each time they observe, I would seriously consider an HEQ5. Personally, I would not get the ("Synscan / Pro") GOTO version, as I never use the hand controller. I connect the scope to my laptop and control the GOTO from there with EQMOD - the "Syntrek" version will do that perfectly.

The comment about having to hot swap camera/EP has me thinking. That sounds like a right pain. Think maybe I should get the goto version to avoid all that fuss ?

Andy

Ok I have done it :)

Credit card bashed to the tune of £1200.

Wife told it came to £200. I hope to god she never comes onto this forum ;)

Just hope that FLO have it all in stock.

Like a Kid at xmas now lol

Thanks again for the advice everyone

All the best

Andy

Ok I have done it :D

Credit card bashed to the tune of £1200.

Wife told it came to £200. I hope to god she never comes onto this forum :)

Just hope that FLO have it all in stock.

Like a Kid at xmas now lol

Thanks again for the advice everyone

All the best

Andy

Just hide it in the wardrobe for a day or two. Once it appears, then just tutt and go "oh THAT old thing??? I've had it for ages". You can then follow up with a half hour arguement about how she never notices you anymore, how you haven't got a thing to wear image with, how she never takes you anywhere, and that you really don't know why you bother anymore. :eek:

Congrats on the new purchases.:) Welcome to a world of never having enough money and grumbling about your neighbour's security lights.;)

Start saving NOW for a CCD- you WILL want one in a few months.

Read up on guiding, get a QHY5 and PHD.

Start dreaming of filling the garden with a RORO obsy.

I use a HEQ5 with an Equinox 120, guidescope, filter, ccd, guidecam, etc and there is no problem at all - I throw out perhaps 1 in 20 subs caused by movement (I throw out far more because of satellite trails or aircraft).

The total weight of my setup is somewhere between 30 and 35Kg. I do not dismantle it and I have to lift it across the garden fgrom the garage when setting up. If I had an NEQ6 it would be 40-45Kg. Now I suspect that I could manage that, but many would not want to try.

If I had an observatory with a static setup, I would probably get an NEQ6. For anyone who has to setup each time they observe, I would seriously consider an HEQ5. Personally, I would not get the ("Synscan / Pro") GOTO version, as I never use the hand controller. I connect the scope to my laptop and control the GOTO from there with EQMOD - the "Syntrek" version will do that perfectly.

I have a NEQ6, mounted with an Equinox 80 and an ED-80. It is just about manageable to carry in and out in one fell swoop, but it aint that easy because there's no real easy way to hold it.

I wouldn't bother with Synscan either.....you will end up using the lappie to control the DSLR, and EQMOD is a great tool for controlling the mount.

I think the ED80 outfits are in stock but end of May for the ED80 OTA's.

HEQ's are OK - mine might come today so hopefully I'll be setting up the mount later. I'll PM you if it arrives to give you an idea of times.

Keep in touch and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images !

I think the ED80 outfits are in stock but end of May for the ED80 OTA's.

HEQ's are OK - mine might come today so hopefully I'll be setting up the mount later. I'll PM you if it arrives to give you an idea of times.

Keep in touch and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images !

That would be great ;)

I am hoping they will dispatch it all out today :)

Let me know if it arrives :eek:

I have tried calling FLO but all I get is the answer phone. Hopefully they are busy packing my baby up lol.

And the hide it in the wardrobe could be a plan :D

Andy

Eq7 ? When is this happening? think it will force down the prices of the 5`s and 6`s in the range ?

I doubt it

the HEQ5 and NEQ6 will still set the benchmark for affordable astrophotography mounts IMO

Since the EQ7 is likley to retail at many thousand £££ I cant see it bringing the price down of second hand HEQ5/6 mounts at all

Hi Andy,

Well it it is any help, I had my order as being packed yesterday morning and it arrived today by FedEx. OK, it was only a focal reducer and solar filter, but you never know. :)

Cheers

Ian

Hi Andy,

Well it it is any help, I had my order as being packed yesterday morning and it arrived today by FedEx. OK, it was only a focal reducer and solar filter, but you never know. ;)

Cheers

Ian

Fingers crossed :)

Andy

Archived