Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 vs EQ6

After a week long eBay extravaganza I have enough in the coffers for HEQ5 Syntrek. Only now I am dithering and am worried that I will regret not hanging on a going for the EQ6.

The descriptions of the 2 of them are identical on FLO's site. Rother Valley claim "The new HEQ5 SynTrek is effectively a hybrid of the standard HEQ5 and the HEQ5 PRO SynScan. It is basically a standard EQ6 but with a pre-installed PRO SynScan motherboard and stepper motors, and supplied with its own unique SynTrek hand-controller."

So I am a little confused as to the differences. I intend to use it for both observing and imaging, eventually adding a guiding rig. Any goto functionality I intend to do through the laptop.

I beleave that the motors are all the same with the same capabilitys and the only difference between a HEQ5 pro and a EQ6 Pro is the weight capability.

There are 3 versions of each mount,

A Tracking version which litterally tracks at sidereal

Syntrek - same as Synscan but with a Tracking controller instead of Goto - Can be made goto using EQMod for computer control.

Synscan - Full goto with no computer required, can still use EQ mod.

The HEQ5 Synscan Pro / Syntrek is a scaled down version of the EQ6 Pro, the description on the RVO site is inaccurate. The EQ6 has a greater load capacity than the smaller HEQ5 (about 25kg v 18kg). The EQ6 is a favourite amongst imagers because of its load capacity and cost effectiveness. The difference between the Synscan and Syntrek versions of either the HEQ5 or EQ6 is the handset. The Synscan is supplied with a goto handset and the Syntrek version has a simpler handset which gives a number of slewing rates. The Syntrek can be controlled from a laptop using an EQDIR module and a planetarium program such as Stellarium of Catre du Ceil. If you can afford the EQ6 this would be the one to get.

Peter

Thanks I intend to go for the Syntrek and EQMod. Is the weight difference huge?I would like to mount a 250P + DSLR and a guidescope. Could a HEQ5 handle that?

I think the combination would be too much for the HEQ5. The total weight of the payload (telescope, camera, guide scope etc) should ideally not exceed 1/2 - 2/3 the load capacity of the mount.

Peter

I decided to go for the EQ6 Pro to allow for future upgrades. I'm into imaging so wanted a good stable mount. I consider the extra outlay will be worthwhile.

Thanks I intend to go for the Syntrek and EQMod. Is the weight difference huge?I would like to mount a 250P + DSLR and a guidescope. Could a HEQ5 handle that?

Absolutely not!! Nowhere near. You will be pushing an NEQ6 with that lot. Mike (Yfronto) went for an Off Axis Guider with his ten inch on EQ6.

Olly

Absolutely not!! Nowhere near. You will be pushing an NEQ6 with that lot. Mike (Yfronto) went for an Off Axis Guider with his ten inch on EQ6.

Olly

Waiting to hear on an offer I made on an EQ6 for precisely this reason.

About 1/2 - 2/3 rated weight is sensible for an A-P package.

I believe AstroBaby considered the HEQ5 a better mount for imaging than the NEQ6, but I can't find her posting on the subject at the moment. In any case, if the HEQ5 cannae take the weight, cap'n, then your options are limited. And the EQ7 will be available for purchase about three days after your EQ6 is delivered :)

James

Olly

Wow. EQ6 it is defo. I might have to revisit what I load onto it though.

Archived