NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guide camera through finder?

samir_ansari

As soon as my new cooled CCD camera arrives, I am going to mount my 50D onto the guidescope (an ED-80), convert a spare finderscope into a guidescope and run a dual imaging rig.

Speak to Bern at modern Astronomy....he uses a finderguider and recommends it.

Hi Samir,

I have successfully used this adapter with my Atik Titan to use my finder as a guidescope.

Works well, you just need to check how far back the chip is from the front of the body on your CCD. The Titan is set at 13mm, but anywhere between 10 and 15mm should be fine as you can control how far the adapter is screwed into the finder.

HTH.

Thanks for all the posts! what is the maximum exposure time I can realistically expect, is 15mins do-able?

You can go for as long as you like, subject to light pollution, over-saturating the imaging sensor and accurate polar alignment.

Having said that, the advantage of stacking means that such long subs are probably rarely needed?

As zakalwe says really. There may be some subjects where you may want 15min subs but I wouldn't imagine you would need to go much beyond that. What imaging camera are you using as that may have an effect on sub length.

If you're going down the finderguider route, I would personally advise against using a stand-alone guidecam - I bought one 7 months ago (a Synguider), together with one of the Modern Astronomy adapters and whilst everything looked right in theory, it was an absolute mare trying to bring the Synguider to focus using the helical focuser on the finderscope...

I considered putting an eyepiece adapter onto the finderscope so that I could use a parfocal eyepiece, but eventually I chose the "traditional" route of guidescope and guiderings (as I didn't want to swapout the Synguider for a QHY5-type guidecam) which also sadly meant I had to upgrade to an EQ6 (kerching!)

I'm sure it is possible to use a stand-alone with a finderguider, but it was certainly too much trouble for me...

If you're going down the finderguider route, I would personally advise against using a stand-alone guidecam - I bought one 7 months ago (a Synguider), together with one of the Modern Astronomy adapters and whilst everything looked right in theory, it was an absolute mare trying to bring the Synguider to focus using the helical focuser on the finderscope...

I considered putting an eyepiece adapter onto the finderscope so that I could use a parfocal eyepiece, but eventually I chose the "traditional" route of guidescope and guiderings (as I didn't want to swapout the Synguider for a QHY5-type guidecam) which also sadly meant I had to upgrade to an EQ6 (kerching!)

I'm sure it is possible to use a stand-alone with a finderguider, but it was certainly too much trouble for me...

I won't be using a standalone synguider. It will be a toucam hooked up to phd, would focus still be an issue with this webcam?

I won't be using a standalone synguider. It will be a toucam hooked up to phd, would focus still be an issue with this webcam?

FWIW, I played with using a modified Microsoft Lifecam as a guidecam. An extremely frustrating evening was wasted messing about, trying to get stars on the chip, focus, get the software to work.

I ended up buying a QHY5 camera for £175. Hooked it up to the scope, installed PHD and was guiding literally in minutes. Others have gotten webcams to work successfully, but for me it was just too much hassle.

I was using an ED80 as guidescope BTW.

I haven't tried it myself but it seems that a great many people go down the QHY5/PHD route... However, that's not to say it's not worth trying - As Zak said, some do indeed guide successfuly with webcams. And of course if the Toucam doesn't work as well as you'd like then you haven't lost anything, as any kit you've bought (adapter/additional finderscope?) can potentially then be reused with a QHY5.

I use the QHY5 and a 9x50 guide scope and PHD. I have to say that it really was working pretty much out of the tin. There were a few tweaks to be made in PHD to get it going, but nothing too hard. The combination always seems to find stars as well. SO its a thumbs up for that combo from me.

Interesting thread.

I converted my finder to a guider a few weeks back,and tested it using PHD guide software.

Really had to pump up the calibration steps to get the star moving E/W/N/S in the brain icon.

Always found plenty of stars to guide on.My only problem was that at high altitude i was getting slightly oval stars at say 10 min subs.

Maybe my polar alighnment needs looking at.

But certainly not to be discouraged.

Mick.

Looks very compact, what mount/finder is that Bob?

Both the 50mm finder and mount were purchased second hand at Kelling Heath star party.

The main mod to the finder scope was to screw a T thread ring (from a car boot camera) onto the back so I can attach the QH5, OR replace the eyepiece.

post-13880-133877597459_thumb.jpg

Archived