Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First pop at star trails

Couldn't sleep so got up and seen the stars out so decided to have a go at star trails as my telescope wasn't ready to go.

Quite happy for a first go, but learnt what to do for next time:

More images!

Dew heater on the lens!

No breaks between images!

Take darks.

This was 5 images at 28mm with my Canon 350D a basic tripod and varying exposures from 2mins-6mins(ish), no stop watch just gut instinct :D with the remote shutter and processed quickly in 'Startrails' and PS.

Thanks for looking,

Michael

post-19381-133877597016_thumb.jpg

Good first attempt, you'll soon be addicted like me! I don't use a dew heater just pick the right night and wrap a scarf around the camera if it's cold.

The best way to avoid gaps is set the camera on burst and a 30 second shutter speed and lock the remote lead on and it will just keep firing. You can adjust the exposure with the aperture and ISO.

Cheers

Chris www.chrisrobbins.co.uk

nice first effort, shooting in burst with the shutter held in with a rubber band or using a locking remote release and turning noise reduction off will keep the gap between frames to a minimum. Shoot a handful of darks at the end and put them all into Startrails.exe for processing.

Nice one Michael. I've been playing with these for a couple of weeks and can happily confirm that 15 - 30 second exposures with the remote button locked really does the trick.

Get an "intervalometer",there are loads on ebay for £20 -30.

You can set your exposure to whatever you want,as many as you want and as big or small a gap between each shot as you want.

Perfect for using with your scope as well.

Make sure you get one that compatible with your camera.

imagesCAO05E65.jpg

Archived