NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spring Activities for My Astronomy Class

Hello Folks!

Hundreds of you have downloaded previous activity worksheets and have effectively joined my astronomy class! For those of you who are new to SGL - allow me to explain briefly.

I teach introductory astronomy at both the high school and college level. As part of my class, students must do observational lab work with either naked eye, binoculars, or a small telescope. Although we have some large equipment, the workhorse scope for my program is the humble 150mm Dobsonian reflector and basic 7x50 binocular - so almost all of you have the equipment needed to attempt these exercises. If you want to see the earlier lab assignments, you can click <HERE> :)

Each exercise is 1-page easy, you can print them out on a single page that includes a brief introduction, and then clear instructions on what to do to observe the sky and record what you see. Each exercise is designed to be completed easily in less than 60 minutes, most can be done in about half that time. Parents - these are great activities to do with your kids to help them learn about the hobby and the sky!

Apart from our individual SGL members, parents, teachers, scout leaders, and outreach team members from local clubs are all welcome and encouraged to download, print off, and share these materials. For those of you who generously share your time and equipment by doing astronomy activities at the local school -- please print these off and take some along to the local teacher. Anyone has free license to copy and duplicate for any legitimate educational use.

Activities this time include the following:

1. Saturn Observer's Log - a simple activity to help you observe and identify Saturn and it's moons. Also includes a sketching guide to help you make an accurate sketch of the rings and surface details you can see. (This is a repeat of an earlier activity - back by popular demand! :eek: )

2. Star Clusters in Canis Major - An activity for binocular or telescope observers. Canis Major is home to a great many open clusters, ancient star forming regions that have used up all their gas and dust producing dozens, sometimes hundreds of stars in a single area of the sky. There is challenge and excitement here for every class of binocular and telescope from the entry level to giant dobs!

3. Galaxy Hunting in the Virgo Cluster - A large binocular / telescopic activity. Galaxies, like stars, tend to form in groups and clusters that are gravitationally bound together in space. Our Local Group of several dozen galaxies is too close to see the group structure, but the Virgo Cluster of some 1300 galaxies is high in the sky and ready to view tonight! Track down and map as many as you and your kit can find!

4. Deep Sky Objects in Coma Berenices - Next to dramatic Bootes and bright Arcturus in the northeast is fainter Coma Berenices (Bernice's Hair). There are only three faint stars in Coma Berenices, but each is near a major deep sky object. Both binoculars and telescope skills are tested here as you hunt for the mega-cluster Mel-111, and fainter objects M-3 and M-53.

As always - have fun in class, and if whether you have success to report, or questions to ask - all your comments are welcome here.

Success and Dark Skies to you all!

Dan

Lab 15 - Clusters in Canis Major.doc

Saturn Observer's Log.doc

Lab 16 - Galaxies in Virgo.doc

Lab 17 - Messier objects in Coma Berenices.doc

when does the homework have to be in for marking?:)

Seriously though, thanks very much.

Seriously? Marking isn't important here - however, it is crucial that you report your successes and tell how you've done with these activities. It helps to inspire others to give it a go with their own scope!

Dan

Dan,

As always thanks for your advice. I get home on Friday. My scope arrived while I was in Kuwait. I have been reading and thinking about this for the last two months.

So this weekend, after I say hello to the wife, of course, I am going to take this info and give a go.

Thanks again

John

2. Star Clusters in Canis Major

Hi Dan,

I got lost last night in the sky, so I decided to try harder in planetarium software reviewing where everything should be.

I discovered that Canis Major wouldn't be visible at this time for Sheffield, UK.

Is that correct?

Hi Folks!

John, glad to give you something to do after you say 'hello' to the family! :D Have fun with them!

Alan, you are certainly not banned for anything you might say! (I don't really seem like that much of a curmudgeon, do I???) Pluto's planetary status will be secured by future generations (who will no doubt snicker at us a bit over this). Have fun with the activities.

Beulah, Kudos to you for taking your kids out to have some astronomy fun with them! Let us know how you do!

Ismangil, I'm not sure if Canis Major is visible for you or not, I do know I'm quite a bit farther south, though. Stellarium should solve the issue (download free at Stellarium), but easier than that, if you can see the blue giant Sirius (brightest star in the sky), you can do the activity. If not, well then you have to save it for next year and give it a go in February or March. We had horrible weather during those two months (literally almost 90 days with no possibility of observing at all) so I didn't write up activities, or post them. :)

I'll try and do better and remember that all my students aren't in California anymore! :D

Dan

Dan - Thank you for posting.

I've got them downloaded so will be using these.

Since starting viewing & (trying) to image, friends & guys at work keep asking questions - which is good. But am going to try and organise a viewing evening (after the summer) & looking for a dark site, so any ideas / good targets for end of October would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Alan, you are certainly not banned for anything you might say! (I don't really seem like that much of a curmudgeon, do I???) Pluto's planetary status will be secured by future generations (who will no doubt snicker at us a bit over this). Have fun with the activities.

Dan

Haha not at all.

Looking forward to them!

Alan

Hi Scarlet,

I try to update new activities every month or two throughout the year. Fall is a busy time, so I'm sure I'll have plenty for you.

Dan

Dan - Thank you for posting.

I've got them downloaded so will be using these.

Since starting viewing & (trying) to image, friends & guys at work keep asking questions - which is good. But am going to try and organise a viewing evening (after the summer) & looking for a dark site, so any ideas / good targets for end of October would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived