Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Build Underway

malc-c

Feather edge is fine if you overlap it 50%. I did my bin cupboard with no overlap as I wanted it to look the way it does when it warps etc. But I've done cladding on the outer 70ft wall in the garden with 50% (5cm) overlap and it looks cool. Not sure on a obs but it looks fine and has weathered well.

I would use shiplap on an obs though.

• Like 1

Did you nail your shiplap through the boards, or do that trick of invisible fixing through the tongue and if so what trpe of nails did you use ?

I did not try to hide the nails.....too time consuming......:)

Pre drilled each shiplap before nailing,to prevent splitting.

I didn't want to take any chances as it's expensive stuff!!!

I used annular ring shank nails (50mm).

The ribbed ones for grip.Once in,they will not pull out......

Wayne

A quick rough calculation, that's over 1500 pilot holes if I use every 16" upright !! :)

Hopefully I'll get away with every other upright and it will still look OK and be secure. I was also contemplating using small dry lining screws (40mm) to attache the shiplap, at least that way IF I every did need to dismantle the building I could reclaim the shiplap rather than it splinting and costing me a further expense.

That should be fine. The plastic shiplap on the porch is only fastened at 4ft intervals (ends and middle) and that's alright. I think the plastic is more flexible too. Pity Wickes only do it in white!

Well the deed has been done and my wallet is now very light indeed !!

Materials should be delivered Friday AM.

4 x 8' x 4' 12mm OSB panels for the roof sections

10 x 8' x 4' 4mm ply for the lining of the interior warm room

50 x 5.1m lengths of shiplap

I've also collected the pier head which has been anodized a nice deep purple :) - all being well I'll be filling the pipe up with concrete this evening and setting the head into it tonight - Heck, if the tracking arrives today (as it should) and I get chance to fit the wheels I could then at least get some astonomy in if we get a clear night !

Now need to book a few dry days over the coming weekend to get this thing watertight :(

Edited by malc-c

Are you having mains power in the obs or just a 12V supply?

Wayne

We currently have mains power to a brick build shed nearby, so the intention is to run some armored cable from there to the obs, having upgraded the installation in the shed 1st.

I've also collected the pier head which has been anodized a nice deep purple :) - all being well I'll be filling the pipe up with concrete this evening and setting the head into it tonight - Heck, if the tracking arrives today (as it should) and I get chance to fit the wheels I could then at least get some astonomy in if we get a clear night !

Now need to book a few dry days over the coming weekend to get this thing watertight :(

Great. look forward to seeing more pics. I have the sick-bag at the ready, just in case, for when you reveal the psychodelic purple adapter! :eek:

I know we don't normally talk about money, but often the 1st question that comes up at the end of a build project is "how much did it all cost".

I think it's safe to say that for anyone contemplating a build such as mine, Daves, Waynes or Gina's etc, that you should really set aside a budget of at least £1000, probably £1500.

The cost of my base (footings and brick work) worked out at a tad over £400 including my share of the digger hire charge. Not bad as most shed manufactures will charge you £500 for a frame base made from wood ! The timber (joists, flooring, studding, rebated shiplap, roofing and interior lining for the warm room) comes to a few quid over a grand. Again, I think given the quantity that's very reasonable, when compared to the commercially available alternatives. An observatory from Alexanders (8' x 8') with no warm room will set you back just under £1700, and if you opt for their 16' x 8' which has a warm room than add another £1000 to the price, and as far as I can see you would still need to provide the level slab of concrete to site it on.... Please note I'm not knocking their products, simply comparing them as the build quality looks as near as dam-it to all the self build projects.

Some have looked at getting two commercial sheds, bolting them together and then modifying them, but you still wouldn't see much change out of £1000 by the time you include the base, and as some who have already gone down this route have found, often the cost of strengthening the construction to accept the roll off roof turns out to be quite costly, making not such a cheap alternative.

So there you have it... set aside £2000, and lots of spare time and have some fun. I'm still the process of building mine and I'm really enjoying it.

lets talk money, not a very British thing to do but in other cultures not a problem :)

Pier £550

Metal shed on sale £180 (outer skin)

Wood and fixings £450

Flooring and other stuffs (lots of stuffs tbh) £200

Thats pretty much my budget

I bought the Altair Astro pier in the end not cheap but Time-scales did not help with getting better options.

Edited by Earl

I know we don't normally talk about money, but often the 1st question that comes up at the end of a build project is "how much did it all cost".

I think it's safe to say that for anyone contemplating a build such as mine, Daves, Waynes or Gina's etc, that you should really set aside a budget of at least £1000, probably £1500.

The cost of my base (footings and brick work) worked out at a tad over £400 including my share of the digger hire charge. Not bad as most shed manufactures will charge you £500 for a frame base made from wood ! The timber (joists, flooring, studding, rebated shiplap, roofing and interior lining for the warm room) comes to a few quid over a grand. Again, I think given the quantity that's very reasonable, when compared to the commercially available alternatives. An observatory from Alexanders (8' x 8') with no warm room will set you back just under £1700, and if you opt for their 16' x 8' which has a warm room than add another £1000 to the price, and as far as I can see you would still need to provide the level slab of concrete to site it on.... Please note I'm not knocking their products, simply comparing them as the build quality looks as near as dam-it to all the self build projects.

Some have looked at getting two commercial sheds, bolting them together and then modifying them, but you still wouldn't see much change out of £1000 by the time you include the base, and as some who have already gone down this route have found, often the cost of strengthening the construction to accept the roll off roof turns out to be quite costly, making not such a cheap alternative.

So there you have it... set aside £2000, and lots of spare time and have some fun. I'm still the process of building mine and I'm really enjoying it.

Ditto!! :(

Plus the cost of all the mains electric installation.

(Fuse box,Cable,Lighting,sockets,etc....)

I did not have much change from £1200..........

A lot cheaper than buying one, & made to measure for my garden spec.

And as I have said before in my own thread.....

Everyday I look at it or I am inside,

I can say

"I BUILT THAT"

:):D:D:D:D:D:D

Wayne

£830 excluding the pier... and you've not mentioned any base (I think you're lucky enough to have a nice level slabbed area if memory serves me correctly) - I bet you come in nearer the grand mark by the time you've done... :)

And as I have said before in my own thread.....

Everyday I look at it or I am inside,

I can say

"I BUILT THAT"

:):D:D:D:D:D:D

Wayne

It's funny because I've been doing the same every day since I had the footings dug :eek::(

£830 excluding the pier... and you've not mentioned any base (I think you're lucky enough to have a nice level slabbed area if memory serves me correctly) - I bet you come in nearer the grand mark by the time you've done... :)

Yeah im on slabs.. level... yeah right LOL, as long as the pier is :(

My plan is to be removable and re-installable when i move, later rather than sooner... touch wood.

Michaelmorris build is my primary inspiration for my obsy. ill be tweaking after the initial build and already have plans LOL.

I'd agree on the pricing. This is a tree house I built for the children a couple of years back (before it was quite finished):

post-23533-133877614672_thumb.jpg

It's not that different from an obsy build and was in the same sort of ballpark as regards cost.

James

• Like 1

I'd agree on the pricing. This is a tree house I built for the children a couple of years back (before it was quite finished):

[ATTACH]60393[/ATTACH]

It's not that different from an obsy build and was in the same sort of ballpark as regards cost.

James

Wow, but imagine the cost of the pier !

Oh, I don't know. Western Power did a load of work on the electrical supply for the area recently and replaced all the poles for the overhead supply. They were kind enough to leave me one. I reckon I could have an obsy a good 8m in the air now :)

James

Great. look forward to seeing more pics. I have the sick-bag at the ready, just in case, for when you reveal the psychodelic purple adapter! :rolleyes:

OK Sickbag at the ready :)

I've just finished painting the pier...... so here it is :icon_eek:

post-23388-133877615139_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877615145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Like Kev, I really don't like Purple but that's not what I was expecting.

Looks spot on! Solid looking too.

How does the mount bolt to the adapter? Does it have a smaller hole inside and connect just like the tri-pod?

Edited by astroimpulse

OK Sickbag at the ready :icon_eek:

I've just finished painting the pier...... so here it is :rolleyes:

Yep, have to say that does look quite good. I eat my words.:)

All you need now is a load of matching accessories!