NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie - Choosing first DSLR

Hi!

I purchased my first telescope a couple of months ago (Celestron Nexstar 6se) and I am finding astronomy every bit as exciting as I knew I would :eek:

After looking into astrophotography I feel that I would love to give it ago, therefore after a couple of weeks searching for which camera to buy I now have more questions then when I initially started ! So hopefully the lovely people at stargazers lounge might be able to give me a hand.

I understand the additional costs of t rings, t adapters, expandable memory etc etc but the actual camera and what I am specifically looking for is eluding me.

I will mainly be using the camera for astrophotography, however I will inevitably use it as a regular camera so a lens included with the camera would be ideal as this would probably work out cheaper.

My main requirements are:

• Absolute Maximum budget for camera + Lens £500
  • Video (preferably 1080p but not essential)
  • Good range of peripherals for the future

So basically I think i've narrowed it down to either the Nikon D3100 (£400 from Jessops) or the Canon 500D (£448 B4U Cameras) both with 18-55mm lenses included.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

I'd stick with Canons as they've been popular for astrophotography for a long time. I'd also suggest keeping the AP separate from regular photography because AP cameras inevitably work better with modifications.

The 350D was a standard in AP for a long time - can't beat a second hand one of those. Now the 1000D is becoming a good standard and works a treat without mods, even better with. But with the 6SE you can do AP a lot cheaper with a £30 webcam snapping planets.

You'll need polar alignment for dso photography with a dslr, which means either a wedge for the 6SE, or an EQ mount. :)

(of course I'm totally biased if you look at my equipment list lol)

I have 3 Canon cameras. I started with an inexpensive A70, then got an Elura 80 video cam, then added a 5D. (The big 35mm format chip is AWESOME for astrophotos!)

They are all still working great, even though the A70 is more than 6 years old now. Wonderful equipment and I find I am never limited by the inabilities of my camera - its always me now. :)

Dan

Canon 300d or 350 can be had very cheap, but I found the 1000d takes a better picture, can be easily controlled over USB and liveview is a dream for focusing. Or the 500d for video.

As the 6se has a 1500mm focal length and is F10, you will need very accurate tracking and long exposures. Best to use that for planetary or at least get an F6.3 reducer (Celestron are the best, but 150GPB). If you get a 55-250mm lens, I would recommend starting AP with this. The Canon one performs excellently and even a reasonable polar alignment at this focal length will give you great images of Orion, North American Nebula or anything similar size, exposures around 3mins easily possible and f4-f5.6 (from memory) means it's quite fast. Would definitely recommend this approach until you get used to it.

You will need a wedge to polar align the 6se, but even in Alt/Az mode you can get 30s-2mins without image rotation depending on the direction it's pointing. From memory, low east or west allows the longest exposures. Image rotation is not dependent on lens focal length.

Just picked up a second hand Canon 400D with 18-55mm standard lens plus a couple of batteries and a charger for under £240 from a local retailer in almost mint condition. I've only used it once and then not in ideal conditions and I'm very pleased with the results

Hey,

Sorry to go against alot of people on this thread but i have a Nikon D5000 which i got at christmas. Its a great camera and i have recently started to use it for astrophotography.

It also has live view with hd video recording and a flip down screen which is very handy.

I would recommend it.

Mcro

Huge difference software support and accessory wise between them though...

Canon v Nikon... I use both for the jobs that they do best...

Canon for Astro...

Clip in Filters

Online guides on IR filter removal and availability of replacement filters

Lowcost custom Astro Capture apps (APT or BackYard EOS) and Eos Utils is free...

Low noise and good Battery Life...

Nikon for normal photograpahy..... Although tha might change if I buy anymore L series glass....

Archived