Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What case for NEQ6

LongJohn54

For a HEQ5 I use a trolly bag, the long ones with the cloth finish. Not sure what to call them, duffle bag perhaps? They are long enough and the wheels help a lot.

Have used thin ply to form a case/frame/backing and added foam to that. The thing has straps inside so they are used to tie it down.

Problem with a solid case is that the things are heavy to start with and a case simply adds to it all. If just handles then more difficult to move round.

If you want a hard case then I suspect you may have to make one.

Got the exact same one from Albert At Stayfocussed

http://www.stayfocused.eu/waterproof-peli-type-case-suits-eq6-heq5-mount.html.

Ah the e-bay listing is Stayfocussed

I also use on of the canvas bags you get the cheap folding chairs in for my tripod legs. Saves getting the knocked.

Edited by m.tweedy

Here's a fairly cheap but pretty good case (I've got a couple of them) that fits the EQ6 head (just):

James

Looks promising and just big enough. Sadly it's 9kg empty. I'm not sure lugging 25+kg would do my arms any good so I think I'll leave this one (for now).

I have one of these for my HEQ5 head for transport

I'd looked at the Teleskop Express site previously and although they have a decent selection of hard cases the prices put me off.

B&W Outdoor Koffer - 66x50x21cm - Facheinteilung mit Klett/Flaus - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

This one's favourite - plenty of room for the mount and padding. The 254Euro price is offputting though.

I didn't look any further down the page so missed the soft bags. That 30A045 bag is definitely a contender now. :o

That's a tight fit and no padding either. I'd discounted Maplins case as the size didn't seem quite big enough High Impact Case Large : Flight Rugged Cases : Maplin although it's on offer right now.

Maybe I'll just get one. If it's too small I'll use it for something else. :o

True. But it can't live there all the time. It needs a proper home! :)

That's the role of my western-most dining-room chair. Whoever sits there next will sense a distinct "hollow" after I move the mount-head. :o

Looks promising and just big enough. Sadly it's 9kg empty. I'm not sure lugging 25+kg would do my arms any good so I think I'll leave this one (for now).

I don't know why CPC have put 9kg there - The two I have are about 3kg (if that) empty...

James

Edited by James

I bought the Duratool case Helen and James suggested from CPC Farnell for £31 and it's identical to the one offered by Stayfocused judging by the photos on their website and the size 50 x 35 x 20cm.

As the attached photo shows it's not quite big enough. The mount is very firmly wedged in and that's before I add any foam. So this one will carry the counterweights and all the other mount bits n pieces. :(

I'm thinking I'll have to bite the bullet and get a Peli 1600. It's 55 x 43 x 20cm and a whopping £178. :( That's still a bit cheaper than the equivalent B&W or Storm case though.

post-21015-133877490203_thumb.jpg

I was reading this thread with interest but I have the Altair Astro Geoptik universal saddle plate on mine and looking at these pics with the standard vixen saddle on there I'm never going to get mine in any of these cases.

Ahwell.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's still number one on google search with the words "hard case NEQ6"

On 07/10/2010 at 22:48, LongJohn54 said:

I bought the Duratool case Helen and James suggested from CPC Farnell for £31 and it's identical to the one offered by Stayfocused judging by the photos on their website and the size 50 x 35 x 20cm.

As the attached photo shows it's not quite big enough. The mount is very firmly wedged in and that's before I add any foam. So this one will carry the counterweights and all the other mount bits n pieces. :(

I'm thinking I'll have to bite the bullet and get a Peli 1600. It's 55 x 43 x 20cm and a whopping £178. :( That's still a bit cheaper than the equivalent B&W or Storm case though.

post-21015-133877490203_thumb.jpg

Is 50 x 35 x 20 the interior dimensions of this case?

On 07/10/2010 at 23:40, simon84 said:

I was reading this thread with interest but I have the Altair Astro Geoptik universal saddle plate on mine and looking at these pics with the standard vixen saddle on there I'm never going to get mine in any of these cases.

Ahwell.

I have the same saddle, what was your solution?

Sorry, I no longer have this case as I bought the Pele 1600 but I'm pretty sure the quoted dimensions are correct.  After 9 years the Pele case is as new and unmarked.  They are pretty much indestructible!

I'm amazed that this is still the first thing Google comes up with..  Even more amazing is the Image search.  This image is first and my Pele case sitting on the chest freezer in the garage is seventh.

P2243653.jpg