Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with HEQ5 Home position please?

I've rceently bought an HEQ5 Pro and I'm getting my underwear in a terribly knotty-type configuration over the 'home 'position. I've looked at the EQMOD guide to the 'home' position, but I'm afraid I'm either very stupid (quite possible) or it makes no sense. :mad:

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/MountHomePosition.pdf

The procedure tells you to reset the RA axis scale to 0 when the counterweight bar is horizontal. What does this achieve? The scale doesn't move when the axis moves so I don't see how this helps! :D

My guess is that this procedure only works for the EQ6, not the HEQ5 - am I correct?

Confused the hell out of me on my eq6 as well. In the end i made sure the counter weight bar was vertical i.e. Aligned. Then moved the setting circle around so that 0 was on the arrow..then locked the setting circle in place using its 3 screws. Although it doesnt move you can undo the screws and align it and then retighten.

Dont know how i did the other one...i think i aligned it to a screw on the head.

I read some other examples online...still confused. But my control software compensates for any error as long as you consistently park it in the same place.

I dont think i helped at all...

Horizontal makes more sense with a spirit level and aligning the setting circle to 90.

I'm just using weight down scope pointing North as the home position...

However in this position you cant see through the polar scope which needs the scope to be pointing East-West... unless your using a dual mopunt bar which means that the saddle is rotated through 90 degrees to have the scope pointing North...

All comes out in the wash when you start to do the alignment.. although the closer you start the more chance of getting the first alignment star in the FOV...

Peter...

The procedure also works on the HEQ5 Pro. Just tried it.

Step 1. Set the counter weight bar horizontal using a bubble level.

Step 2. Rotate the setting circle to indicate 0 - step 3 is to rotate the mount on the RA axis 90 degrees. Rotating the RA axis 90 degrees the RA scale would then read 6 ( 6 hrs = 90 degrees). The counter weight bar should then be pointing straight down.

Peter

Once you have achieved polar alignment, that is the time to work on the PARK ('home') position. The best way to sort this is as follows:-

1. Set up with the weights pointing down and the telescope pointing up (standrad Park position

2. Carry out a three star alignment BUT on the first star, don't adjust the pointing using the hand controller, instead, undo the RA and DEC clutches and manually push the telescope until the first alignment star is centred in the EP FOV (or CCD FOV if you are imaging) and then lock the clutches. Carry out the second and third star alignments using the hand controller in the normal manner.

Why? By manually adjusting for the first alignment star by pushing the telescope by hand with the clutches undone, you are in essence confirming a 'perfect' Park position to start from!

All it means is that when you do your first star align dont use the handset buttons to move the mount - unlock the mount so you can manually push it. Centre the star in the eyepice this way then lock the mount up again. Dont worry too much about getting it bang on this way, I usually manually push it so the star is in the eyepice field of view then lock the mount and use the handset buttons to perfectly centre the star.

HELP - I have no idea what this means!!:mad:

The normal procedure is to select a first star to align on, slew the telescope to that star and then centre it in the FOV (Field of View) using the left/right and up/down buttons on the hand controller. My method is to choose the first star, slew to it but instead of aligning it in the centre of the FOV using the hand controller/game pad/virtual buttons on the EQMOD display, undo the RA and DEC clutches and manually push the 'scope around until that first star is centred in the FOV. Once centred, lock the clutches and confirm that the star is centred - the system is now happy as you have confirmed that the star has been correctly centred but because no motor movements were invoked (because you manually pushed the 'scope into final position) the system believes that it must have started from a perfect start position and that is why no corrections were required to centre the first star!

The normal procedure is to select a first star to align on, slew the telescope to that star and then centre it in the FOV (Field of View) using the left/right and up/down buttons on the hand controller. My method is to choose the first star, slew to it but instead of aligning it in the centre of the FOV using the hand controller/game pad/virtual buttons on the EQMOD display, undo the RA and DEC clutches and manually push the 'scope around until that first star is centred in the FOV. Once centred, lock the clutches and confirm that the star is centred - the system is now happy as you have confirmed that the star has been correctly centred but because no motor movements were invoked (because you manually pushed the 'scope into final position) the system believes that it must have started from a perfect start position and that is why no corrections were required to centre the first star!

Right, I think I'm starting to get it now. Now (in words of one syllable please), how does this help with parking the scope? Would I be correct in assuming that it works like this?

- Don't bother to start the scope in the home position

- Loosen the clutches

- Do the first goto in the 3-star alignment routine

- Manually move the scope to the first star and centre

- tighten clutches

- Continue with the second two stars as normal.

- Finish alignment.

- Press 'park scope' > the mount will now move to a near perfect home position when parked. :D

... or have I completely misunderstood everything? :mad:

You have indeed understood it all BUT you only have to do that final stage in your list :-

"- Press 'park scope' > the mount will now move to a near perfect home position when parked. :mad:!

at the end of your session - you may as well enjoy the fruits of your labour. If you were set up in an observatory so the mount didn't need to be disturbed you would have a perfect park position to start the next session from.

the home position of the scope is the position where the telescope points at the NCP. in order to find it quickly u only need a bubble level. the procedure is very easy. don't load any eqyipment or counterweights on your mount.

1) unlock the RA clutch

2) rotate the RA axis until it is vertical to the ground (place the bublle at the side of the mount)

3)lock clutch

4) place buble at the dec axis (at the spot where you place the dovetail )

5) unlock dec clutch

6) rotate dec until the dec axis is parallel to the ground (see bubble level)

7) lock clutch

8) rotate dec ring until you see zero at the marker then lock it

9) unlock dec clutch

10) rotate the dec axis counter clockwise until u read at the dec ring 90

11) lock the dec clutch

12) procedure finshed enjoy the home position of your mount.

run eqmod and define the home position of your mount

because i set my mount at a field away from my home its annoying to always do the same procedure to find the home position, so what i did was to mark with a black marker the hope position of the mount so when i set up i always have the home position spot on.

after you polar aliign the mount then the telescope point at the NCP

hi all, this thread has been a great help to me to as i have for the first time tried to polar aligin my HEQ5 and when finshed the scope is pointing in a very strange postion.

my question is, do i now move my scope to point say upwards or doi do a 3 star aligment from where it is?

i hope you understand what i'm saying/asking.....please help if you can

thanks in advance

hi all, this thread has been a great help to me to as i have for the first time tried to polar aligin my HEQ5 and when finshed the scope is pointing in a very strange postion.

my question is, do i now move my scope to point say upwards or doi do a 3 star aligment from where it is?

i hope you understand what i'm saying/asking.....please help if you can

thanks in advance

after u have set the home position of your mount and have good polar alignment then the telescope will point at the NCP. if u have the synscan hand controller then u will go to the 3-star alignment option and select a star from the list. after u press ok then the mount will move as close as it can to the star and if it's not in the FOV of your eypiece then u will move the mount (with the directional keys) and confirm its position, then u choose a second star and repeat, finally u do the same with a third star. if u have the syntrek hand controller then u can't do anything as it has only directional keys. if u use eqmod then you can do the alignment using a planetarium software such as stelarium or cartes du ciel.

Archived